Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

florencefifty
Senior Contributor

How do you manage the temptation to drink?

Good news.

I got a new job. I said that last time, didn’t I?

Well, as a matter of fact, I got one offer and then I got an interview for another job. The same day I had the interview, I got the offer for a second job. I decided to take it. I start in seven days.

Very excited. I’m excited, but I’m also anxious to get started. Like I have filled out all the HR forms I need to for now, it’s just a waiting game.

It’s in the heart of the city. I mentioned that to my psychologist, and said it’s going to be a little terrifying being in the city again considering I had a rather large breakdown last time I went there.

There are hotels EVE-RY-WHERE in the city.

She said that I needed to find a backup plan. I enjoy bars and alcohol because I need an escape from the overwhelm that can come from work. But there are other ways to find a quiet place. So whenever I want to drink alcohol, I should stop at a cafe and drink coffee instead. Or go to a bookstore.

In fact, there’s a bookstore that has a cafe inside of it, so I can basically eat, drink AND read there.

Eat, drink and be merry, literally.

She recommended that if I am really serious about cutting alcohol out of my life, I can go to an AA meeting. Then she said something else, though, which kind of contradicted what I thought AA meetings were. She said “the point of AA is recognising that alcohol is a part of your life, and recognising what role it does play and what role it shouldn’t play in your life”.

I thought AA was all about complete abstinence. 

For people who have managed an alcohol problem, do you cut it out completely or have you learned to drink in moderation. I have heard that before, “certain types of people can’t drink” or “once you cross that line, you can never go back to social drinking”. Is that true or is it kind of outdated?

Edit: Apparently there is a program that talks about drinking in moderation, but even then, you have to go 30 days without ANY alcohol first to learn if it’s right for you, identify how to control triggers and apply a back-up plan as well.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How do you manage the temptation to drink?

Hi @florencefifty 

Amazing news about your job, congratulations!!!

I hope you can come up with a strategy that works for you in regards to the alcohol issue. 

For me, I had an alcohol issue many years ago, when my kids were little. I WAS able to cut down and only drink on the odd occasion. BUT I think everyone is different. I don't drink anymore but I don't fear I'll be tempted either. This is largely because alcohol now makes my anxiety really bad. Like REALLY bad. Ever since being menopausal this has happened, so I'm thinking it's hormones doing this to me. Would be great to hear other's views on this.

Congrats again!

Hanami

@hanami @florencefifty Hope all is well! I hope you’ve been keeping well.

congrats on the job @florencefifty it can be unsettling to see what the future holds.

I work full time, have been at my new company the passed year, and 14 in my field prior to that, in various roles, cause not everyone gets mental health!

I’ll cut to the chase, been drinking the passed year and a bit, 5 shots in average per session, about 10 days on 1 day off. I’m with you on this, I like it cause it relaxes me and I can forget about my issues, but I also want to stop, but then I have to deal with my issues!

as for AA never done it but who knows it might help, but then I’ll get triggered by words like rehab, AA, recovery etc etc

but mainly I have phases of things so don’t worry about me, should be fine

It's nice to see you here @Former-Member ! Haven't seen you around for a while 😃

Yeah @hanami just trotting on 

Trotting on is what you have to do, hey! 

😃

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance