Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

raccoongirlboy
Casual Contributor

How do you cope?

Hi there,

I have Borderline Personality Disorder and wanted to know what healthy coping mechanisms you guys have for extreme distress/ agony. 

Tonight- I'm not sure if I deleted my post or if it was removed- I just vented in 'something's not right...' and I could read back and see just how I've been slipping a little. I need to get back on track with my DBT and am not sure where to start as I don't have a lot of money personally. 

Do I need to constantly be doing DBT to improve? Is there some sort of funding for people like me who need access to DBT but can't afford it currently? 

Thank you for your time! Stay safe!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How do you cope?

Hi and welcome, @raccoongirlboy !

I don't have BPD myself but am going to tag two excellent people who have great insight into it: @BPDSurvivor  and @tyme 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you find the forums a supportive place...

Welcome to the forum @raccoongirlboy 

Walking, Rocking in my bed in foetal position, meditation, reading good books, and getting involved in activities I believe are of value, are some of my tools for coping.

There are lots of good ideas in DBT and I look at the free resources from time to time, which is nothing like doing the actual structural process of the full therapy.  I have also had to cope on a shoestring, and wish it was not so expensive.

I am probably a borderline borderline if that makes any sense ...

In victoria there was a body called spectrum who were a top body ...

keep looking and keep connecting.

Apple

Hi @Appleblossom !

I just tried the rocking (I'm sitting upright though) and it's really soothing. 

Also you saying 'I believe are of value' is something I can relate to. 

Thank you for replying and stay safe out there.

Wow! @Appleblossom @raccoongirlboy !

I never considered rocking as soothing. I know children do it, but I never considered it doing it myself. 

Thanks for the strategy @Appleblossom !

tyme

I guess its giving ourselves permission to have what was denied in the past.  At first, rocking, was not 'a strategy', but just me exhausted and the final collapse into bed and then eventually rocking ...  sometimes the body ... does know the score ... there is wisdom in the body ... 

@raccoongirlboy @tyme 

I rarely need to do it now ,,, but about 20 years ago ... did it a lot for about 10 years. I had 2 kittens ... and cuddled with them and they showed me ... a life saver.

There is a lot of bad press about going to bed, but I knew that was not my problem.  Now I can Bounce out of bed, and I love that, but it took a while to heal.

I agree with you on that one @Appleblossom .

I bounce out of bed each day waiting to see what a new day awaits. 

This wasn't always the case of course. I had my fair share of locking myself under the covers for nearly a decade! I'm so glad things are different now.

But it just goes to show that things CAN change - for the better.

tyme

Appreciate your candour

Hi @raccoongirlboy ,

When I’m stressed or upset, I go for some fresh air and exercise. My mind hates having to go out to exercise, but I make myself do it because I know I feel better after.

Another thing that I hate doing when I’m upset, but do because it makes me feel better is to hang out around people. That way, I’ve limited my SH opportunities. 

These things are not easy to do, but they work. 

Otherwise I find myself falling into negativity and SH.

What do you think @raccoongirlboy ?

Worse comes to worse… I sleep it off. BPD pain can go as fast as it comes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance