Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Exhaustion

Yes I totally know what you mean stating “no need for advice or solutions”. At this stage of caring (and I’ve got far fewer years under my belt), there isn’t really much we don’t know (sounds conceited but it’s true). My solace lately has been- I’m doing everything  I can and leveraging all the resources available. Yes it doesn’t quite work how I want it to but this is what’s available and what I can do. I journal on the notes of my phone obsessively. I cry. I call the carers gateway. I obsess. And now I’ve found this forum and to be honest it’s kept me the calmest I’ve been for a long time! 

@ExhaustedCarer wrote:

And now I’ve found this forum and to be honest it’s kept me the calmest I’ve been for a long time! 

I am so happy to hear this @ExhaustedCarer . Before working for SANE, I was a super user of the forums. I found this space so refreshing, particularly as it was anonymous, I could access it from home, I could connect with others, I could share my experiences without being judged... all in all, it was a Godsend! Hence, I became a volunteer on the forums, before working for SANE as a peer support worker. It has been such a valuable support network as part of my recovery - and daily life!

Hugs, tyme

Thanks so much Tyme! Sane obviously has a big profile and I’ve always known about it but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago during a lot of distress and struggling, my partner heard about it through her work and recommended it to me. I put it the back pocket to contemplate. Then feeling absolutely not coping tonight I looked at crisis lines. One of the first to come up was sane and I thought- okay that’s the second time, let’s give this a go! Now because of my caring role I’ve actually been on the phone all day to different professionals about my brother. So when on the line they mentioned the forums I jumped at the chance! Now since I’ve been typing and reading for three hours I didn’t quite realize how much I needed it lol! I’m raving to my partner about it. Seriously three hours ago I was a total mess and tonight I might just sleep soundly. This self-care thing and time for myself thing might finally be making sense to me haha 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance