Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Ray_of_Sunshine
New Contributor

Educating myself to help a loved one

Hi,

My ex partner has been diagnosed with a psycotic disorder.  He has reached out to me as he is estranged from his family and has no peer support. 

I care very much for this man and want to help but want to ensure that any emotional support I provide him has healthy boundaries for both of us. 

I'm keen to educate myself about this illness & guide him to get help and support he needs. 

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with advice on where I should start.  I'm interested in participating in the carer workshops and would welcome views on whether people have found these helpful. 

Many thanks  🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Educating myself to help a loved one

Hello @Ray_of_Sunshine,

A warm welcome to the forums, thank you for sharing your story, we hope you find the forums a safe and supportive place as a carer.

It is really great that you are wanting to educate yourself and be involved with the recovery of your partner and his psychosis symptoms, there are some resources on Psychosis on the SANE website:

https://www.sane.org/mental-health-and-illness/facts-and-guides/psychosis

You could also contact Carers Australia and Mental Health Carers Aus in regards to further information, resources and programs that they can link you in with as well as provide support over the phone via their helplines:

Carers Australia

1800 242 636

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au/

Mental Health Carers Australia

1300 554 660

http://www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au/

It is really important that you also seek support for yourself and implement some self-care strategies for yourself to better care for your partner without burning out. You could do this by talking to your GP and receiving support from a counsellor or psychologist and working on some coping strategies that way.

Looking forward to getting to know you a bet better, keep sharing how things are going, we are here for you 🙂

Lunar

Thank you for your response.

I have just contacted Mental Health Carers Australia. The lady I spoke to was so lovely, understanding and helpful. I will pass on the number she gave me for my loved one and I will be getting a call back in a week or two for my own education and support.

I am working through the Sane website fact sheets now.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction 🙂

So happy they were helpful and gave you some help that is great @Ray_of_Sunshine 🙂

Please continue to share how things are going and look after yourself as much as you can!

Lunar

P.s. i love your name!

Hi @Ray_of_Sunshine

What a lucky person your friend is to have you.
How are you travelling now? Was the call back from MH Carers Australia helpful?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance