Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Doctors and why they take us for granted

Is it just me or do others out there seem to get taken for granted by there GP. I recently went to mine after being advised by the pain to clinic to do so.I explained that the pain is getting worse by the day and that ive had 2 falls in the last week as my leg gives way.

the answer i get is well you might need a walking stick.

Not okay well lets find out why your pain has increased or why your leg is giving way.

So im just sititng at home in agony thinking i cant do this much longer while i wait to get assesed by the pain clinic and be told how to manage my pain.

i would like to see another GP that is in the practice but im not sure how my existing GP will respond to this .

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Doctors and why they take us for granted

Hi @Former-Member 

It's good to hear from you but sounds like things aren't good in regards to your pain at all. I wouldn't be happy with the suggestion to get a walking stick. I would be exactly like you and want a health professional to look at getting to the source of my issue! And you are totally within your rights to seek a new GP. I also moderate a FB group for women's health and we have so many members who are at their wit's end because their GP has not taken them seriously and been dismissive of their issues. For some who've changed GPs it's been life changing. I've included a link to a Choice article that discusses ways to find a new GP. Let me know what you think. https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/health-practitioners/doctors/articles/guide-to-choosing-a-gp 

Sending positive wishes

hanami

Thanks for the link @hanami .I had a quick read and it will help me.

A GP that has started in my current Gps practice comes highly recommended but not sure how my current one will feel about me seeking advice from her .

My current GP has been good to me over the years but I think he just doesn't know where to go from here after 7 spine surgeries and failed back surgery syndrome has left me virtually crippled.

I can't even get a disability pension as good ole centrelink has there processes that don't work.

I was hoping for some assistance from gp to get pension and get so.e relief not necessarily in that order as you can appreciate. 

Maybe I'll make an appointment to see her and just see what she says

@hanami it is sad that this seems to be a wide spread issue and I must compliment you on the face book site(I don't do facebook) but it's good to see that there is help out there for some

Sounds like a good plan @Former-Member. Yep it makes us sad to see so many people in my FB group struggling with awful symptoms that are being ignored.

Keep reaching out. 

Hanami

Oh and I meant to say I definitely understand your concerns about how your dr will feel about your changing. I would worry too. Feelings of guilt or something?? Occasionally I can't get in to my own GP and if it's urgent I'll see someone else at the practice. If my regular GP comes out to call a patient I worry she'll see me and wonder why I'm not seeing her!  If the truth is known the last thing she is concerned about is me seeing someone else at the practice but that's how my overthinking mind works.

Hi

Yes, I find especially if you have been diagnosed with a mental illness. So for everything you go to the doctor to they just reply it is your mental illness. Doctors are getting better thou.

If your not happy with your doctor yes I would get a second opinion,living with pain constantly sucks, specially if all things have not been investigated.Your existing GP isn't putting up with your pain.

Hopefully it gets sorted for you.

Hi @Former-Member 

How are things today? Did you think anymore about changing GPs?

Thinking of you

Hanami 

Hi there @hanami .

I decided to try and make an appointment with the other doc but there is already a 3 week wait to see her.its so hard being regional to get I to the doctor.

My pain is getting worse each day and I'm counting down to the drive to Newcastle and see tbe pain clinic.

Not looking g forward to the drive but I'm hoping g they can help in some way.

Thank you for your support it means alot

Oh damn, waiting for GPs is another issue with changing to a new doc. Do you have some sort of support cushion for the car for when you drove to the pain clinic? 
Thinking of you ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance