Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Kyle1
Senior Contributor

Conduct

My son has an affinity for electricity, computer tech, and frequencies this and that... He can tell me all sorts of things like what is more conductive or less, and gee wizz, I can't even remember the rest! ...

With his keen enthusiasm for exploring energy forms he has reminded me of something I admittedly take for granted and have offered not a second thought, until recently. Maybe this is true for you, too...

Batteries. Imagine the kind you might replace in the back of your t.v. remote... or clock... or even your car battery - doesn't matter: all batteries have a positive AND a negative polarity. 

As do magnets ( which some say the word is a compound of 'magic net' ... but, I digress)

So, as I was saying: without the intrinsic fidelity and presence of BOTH positive and negative forces, there is no power...

This morning I woke feeling alarmed and anxious once again. Thankfully, I had the resource to atleast get myself up out of bed instead of lay there, stewing... I noticed in so doing I was pressing the snooze button on my emotions and went at some morning chores. Start washing the school uniforms. Prepare breakfast. These things don't care and don't ask how I'm feeling, and that provides a good way out of an otherwise uncomfortable and powerless situation... I recognised my own conduct.

It reminded me of something Jordan Peterson said (the poster boy for pop psychology these days): if you want to improve the world, start with your bedroom. Make your own bed first, sorta thing.

Then that reminded me of a tenement of Zen Buddhism, which states: "before enlightenment; chopping wood, carrying water. After enlightenment; chopping wood, carrying water"

If the enlightened still must get on with living, why should the dull and dim of spirit like me expect any more? ...

So as the 7 dwarves (with all their lowly stature and modest pride) would sing...  "hey ho! hey ho! It's off to work we go!"

there is a time for rumination and pondering and reflection and such. But a time only, and not always. As the book of Ecclesiastes tells us: to everything there is but a season. 

3 REPLIES 3
fluffylight
Peer Support Worker

Re: Conduct

Hi @Kyle1 

I'm new around here, I'm one of the Peer Workers 🙂

Your words is just what I needed for this Monday morning.

Having the resources to get yourself out of bed is definitely admirable.. something I'm learning myself.

Thank you for sharing this!

From,

fluffy light

Kyle1
Senior Contributor

• Hello there, @fluffylight . Thank you. Though I must confess: I'm not sure if having the resource to get out bed is a fruit of learning, or is it yet the 'unleaening' I'm undertaking?...

All the best. Nice to meet you 🙏

@Kyle1 

Ah.. definitely some food for thought 🤔

Nice to meet you too!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance