Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

steveaustin
Casual Contributor

Business, Education and Success

Hello everyone,

I'm currently waiting to speak to someone at centrelink, so while I wait I thought I'd provide a brief update on my business and learning.

Firstly, I am noticing some stress. The stress isn't overwhelming or overbearing. It specifically rose up when I started work on my business today. The stress itself might be related to feelings of isolation, needing extra help, feeling lost or inadequate, but for now that isn't relevant. I'm not looking at the comprehensive backstory behind stress, I'm just trying to see how I can avoid it. Lets be really simple here.

Doing business activities = stress

but

Watching my favourite TV show = no stress

So the reason I'm choosing to simplify is because I want to reduce the amount of decisions I make. I want to keep it nice and easy. Tomorrow, if I work on business all day it'll be stressful, and I might not sleep well. If I watch TV all day I'll feel guilty, unenergized, and that also doesn't help with sleep.

Therefore, I will aim to work on my business for 2 hours. That's all for now. And watch TV for 1 hour. This is also a must for me, and not a bonus or a treat.

If you know that something makes you feel good, in my opinion you are obliged to do it. Its your duty. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Business, Education and Success

Hey @steveaustin 

Just a thought ... there are also concepts of distress and eustress.

We all need some levels of stimulation ... to thrive

Good on you for planning and being bodily aware.

Hi @steveaustin,

You sound like you have a good plan for the day that seems to give you a nice balance between work and relaxation. You also sound like you are quite self-aware with the ability to recognise stress both in mind and in body. Good on you for knowing yourself, taking care of yourself and recognising your stress levels. I think it's also good to simplify life if we can otherwise it can become a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I hope you have a good day that brings you peace, balance and a good rest.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

I had a look online, and I found an image that explains distress vs eustress well.

Its such a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

For those of you who don't know, the image in the link below depicts a bell curve, which is a very common figure in the world of statistics. I won't get into it here, but its worth checking out. Especially if you're curious about people and trends on a large scale, e.g national trends.

https://assets.website-files.com/5bf1b8bbde18dd86e3430603/5d887316ebc987d3b9054196_kgi_blog_eustress...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance