Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Bipolar as identity theft

- this is contra to a lot of the lingo in the mental health community. i hear a lot, 'bipolar experience' (or borderline personality disorder or so is maybe another example where this is relevant but my knowledge of that is pretty minimal); or 'a person has bipolar, they are not bipolar'. not having a go at other people's frameworks or methods at all, but yeah, i certainly feel like the 'i am bipolar' tack is the one for me for sure. bc then u work with it not against it hey. 

@Truffles  ^ )

@Truffles ) This outlook has also solved my fear of how people perceieve me to a large extent as well! In that i used to worry that people would look at my behaviour and be like, oh she's like that because she's bipolar, that's her bipolar. like the og post, a theft of identity.  but with the disctinction removed and my bipolar brain being re-placed in the set up, as far as i am concerened it's always all me with no question and they can learn that 🙂 

I also don't blame and get angry at it and think, oh if it weren't for my having bipolar - or having a broken brain, worse! - which is super good

More on the list 

Things that control mania apart from meds

Calming music

Food

Reality checks, e.g. ‘y am I feeling like this?’

Cut off activities to come back to (I.e. don’t get carried away

Circuit breaker activities, e.g. shower, sex by self or with another, food, playing music, immersive activities

Things that control depression apart from meds

Reality check, e.g. ‘y am I feeling like this?’

Sun and fresh air

Listing, ‘three things I want to do’

Music

Being understood

Update again

Things that control mania apart from meds

Calming music

Food

Reality checks, e.g. ‘y am I feeling like this?’

Cut off activities to come back to (I.e. don’t get carried away

Circuit breaker activities, e.g. shower, sex by self or with another, food, playing music, immersive activities

Coffee

Panadol

Talking and expressing thoughts

Things that control depression apart from meds

Reality check, e.g. ‘y am I feeling like this?’

Sun and fresh air

Listing, ‘three things I want to do’

Music

Talking and expressing thoughts

Being understood

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance