Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Yep
Casual Contributor

Aspie Relationship

Hi, So my wife has had an injury.  In typical Aspie fashion, I researched and followed the script to help her through the Hospital experience.  Now she is home, the recovery is painfully slow.  She is frustrated.  I am having to care for her significantly.  Our roles have changed.  Its been very difficult. 

I am becoming very confused about her changed behaviour. Then I get it, a revelation!  She is not performing to the script I expect of her. No wonder I am confused as I am dealing with change. 

She is not identifiable anymore, a stranger to me.  Yes my wife a stranger! But that's being an Aspie.  I have to take a breath and realise I am learning a new script.  Given the chance the new routines will become familiar.  Rather than resist and get upset, I simply observe, think, adapt and act.  I have done that all my life so I am very good at it.  A master sleuth.

It's ok that the most stable part of my life, a family member is going through change.  Scary yes, initially anyway, but when I think about it, not so confronting.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Aspie Relationship

Welcome @Yep 

Your post was beautiful and had lots of tender heart.  Who said Aspie's dont have feelings!  Btw I identify as aspie but no formal diagnosis.  Change is difficult but doable in chunks.

I hope the forum is helpful.

Smiley Happy

Re: Aspie Relationship

It sounds like you have it figured out @Yep, it can be hard for everyone when the recovery doesn't fit the script, even the person who is recovering. How are things going now?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance