Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: 8 Dimensions of Wellness

Hello  @oceangirl@wellwellwellnez@HenryX@Swansong@Historylover@Fizz@Flying_Hams@Emelia8@bipolarbunny@Snowie@StuF , @Former-Member , @BlueBay@Judi9877@Tinker67@AussieRecharger@Gwynn@Faith-and-Hope 

Environmental wellness refers to your sense of safety, comfort, and connection with your physical surroundings.

Environmental wellness can be enhanced by living more in harmony with the planet and your community. Wellness in this domain begins in your immediate surroundings. Your personal space has a direct impact on your state of mind, emotional well-being, and productivity. Environmental wellness also extends beyond your personal space to larger communities, geographic areas, and the planet.
Begin this Pathway to Wellness by creating a happy and healthy living space for yourself. From there, learn more about the campus and Tucson communities. Find your special places and favorite things to do and learn to live in harmony with the natural climate. You can also boost your environmental wellness by making the daily changes that leave your community and the planet healthy, happy, and safe.

and what @Swansong  said is wonderful -- Sure... Environmental wellness.... We can control parts of this if we can move away from stressful situations and pollution and crowded places into somewhere peaceful and safe.... Ie home or garden or a park. We can decorate our house or room to make it pleasant and keep it clean... So it involves effort some of the the time.

soo what do you think about Environmental wellness ???

Hello @oceangirl@wellwellwellnez@HenryX@Swansong@Historylover@Fizz@Flying_Hams@Emelia8@bipolarbunny@Snowie@StuF , @Former-Member , @BlueBay@Judi9877@Tinker67@AussieRecharger@Gwynn@Faith-and-Hope , @Former-Member , @Peri , @Former-Member , @Adge@Olga@Dimity@Kurra@eth@Mazarita@Schitzo@saltandpepper@Determined@Smc@Krishna@Owlunar@Appleblossom@Jacques , @Former-Member , @Anastasia@frog@greenpea@Scoo 

Begin your environmental wellness journey in your personal living space. Do a walkthrough and notice where your eye lands. What is pleasing to the eye and what bugs you?

Make a list of easy, concrete steps you could take to improve your space. For example, you might clear up clutter, add more color, or bring in more light.
Creating a healthy and happy living space also means paying attention to any toxins or chemicals that enter your space. Learn more about the chemicals in cleaning products and cosmetics in your home and clear out potentially harmful substances. If you have seasonal or environmental allergies, consider where you could reduce your exposure to potential allergens.
Finally, a safe living space is a happy living space. Take any necessary steps to enhance your sense of safety at home. For example, you might install motion detector lights or a security system. You might also gain peace of mind by having important emergency numbers stored on your phone or another easy to access place.

Food for thought @Shaz51

I like this.
Usually I start by cleaning up dust and litter. Cups or mugs that are empty.

I have a small tray on my desk that I sit tea bags in and sometimes I forget to clean it out.

My bedroom is tiny. I have a bed and an Ikea shelf unit. That's it. I sleep in there and that's it. That's all I can do. So to keep it clean as possible is best.

Power chords going everywhere also ticks me off so I find it best to ensure that I don't get caught up. So I tied them all together and keep them out of the way.

Having an easy to reach schedule is also good. My little brown book of things to do and chase up keeps me occupied.

@Shaz51 

My personal living space is quite limited in terms of what I control- basically a room in my parent's house. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have this. But yeah, I suppose the benefit is that I Do completely control this immediate environment, so I have the pictures I want, the music I want, TV, computer, games...So it's small, but it Does feel Mine 🙂

In a broader sense, I need to feed my environmental wellness more. I ache to return visit many parts of Australia- mainly the Kimberley and Red Centre. I will get back there someday. But closer to home, I really need to take advantage of where I live and get out into the bush more...

I feel Truly alive when in nature. A fact I so often forget 🙂

@Flying_Hams@StuF  as like you we are at my mum`s house in one room because of our own house fire 

we can still make our rooms our special place for us to relax in soo important 

@StuF  said ----- I suppose the benefit is that I Do completely control this immediate environment, so I have the pictures I want, the music I want, TV, computer, games...So it's small, but it Does feel Mine --- this is sooo true my friend 

I think in any situation we can fit some environmental wellness in our lives to help us daily xxx

@Shaz51   As I have mentioned, I am in the middle of having my rented unit refurbished.  At first, the kitchen was removed.  The following day we went into lockdown and I had already packed and moved everything into the centre of the living area so that the walls could be prepared for painting.  Nothing has proceeded.  Then the bathroom shower was found to be slowly leaking into the kitchen and had to be re-sealed, so I can't shower for 5 days.  When the new carpet is laid, everything has to be moved from room to room as it proceeds.  I can't imagine what that will be like.  If it's not raining, I suppose much will be able to be taken outside.  One step at a time, I guess.

I'm trying to be positive.  I am going to decorate it for the first time.  I had no intention to be staying here and had lived around a lot of boxed goods for a long time.  Recently I unboxed a lot and sent a lot to charity as my life is obviously not going in the direction planned, and started to trim everything down to essentials and treasures.  It looked quite nice despite the wear and tear so refurbished should be really nice.

I am looking forward to new surroundings with my stamp on them.  I hope it all works out well.  Just taking a few things out of boxes lifted my spirits to see the things I value again.  

For me - a garden is essential and house plants.  My garden is potted - mostly succulents as the conditions are harsh, and I try to grow herbs although not too successfully.  I'd hate to have to live without some greenery. Takes me back to nature.

That's my environment close to home.  Beyond that is everything I need in reasonably close proximity.  I guess my environment gives me a sense of belonging.

I guess my environment gives me a sense of belonging.-- yes @Historylover  where ever we are my friend 

we had to move into my mum`s house after our fire -- it is still my mum`s house but there is little things we can do to help us xoxo

I had a revelation today. It's more to do with social environment but I want to share it anyway. I found a way to stop babbling in class without floating away. And, it gave me the exact kind of of environmental effect I was looking for. Instead of trying to fight the feeling of the room. Instead of trying to say all the things that shouldn't be unsaid. I directed everything into waiting for someone else to say it and then clearly and affirmatively agreed with them.

After a while it started to take hold and everyone's active engagement started going up and it was the kind of place I wanted to be. I stopped compensating and started nurturing (also stopped getting in people's way). Didn't even really understand what I was doing until I stopped doing it. The key was deciding that it's okay to not be part of the "us" and it is okay to be the "other". In fact, it can be a powerful tool for creating recognition.

Active listening is great in one on one's but it can have a cascading affect in some group settings. So why not most of them. School is in session.

It's been really tough going for you @Shaz51.  Keep your spirits up, my friend.  You have family, have made many friends and have great adaptability.  Environmental necessities.  

Take care.Heart

Hi everyone. 
Hubby and I are currently tidying up and decluttering one room at a time. It's less overwhelming this way. It includes painting. Our cat has been using the door frames as scratch posts 😱

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance