Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Flyingbutter
Contributor

Wellbeing balance

Hello there, I would love to hear the pivotal things that keep you on balance, the things that without, everything falls in a heap and do they keep changing or do you come back to one pivotal point.

There are many in my world, but three big ones are sleep and exercise and human connection. Would love to hear from you all

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Wellbeing balance

For me @Flyingbutter it is the unconditional love of my fur babies and keeping my mind active. I find lack of mental stimulation is a major contributing factor with my depression - but it becomes a catch-22 as when I am depressed I find it hard to concentrate.

My fur babies are what keep me most grounded - without them I would not feel that love and warmth each day.

@Zoe7 yes I also have trouble concentrating, when i read a book, it tends to put me to sleep unless im really intetested.
Fur babies are such good heart company

Personally I find my living environment is pretty crucial to my general happiness. 
When I have an over excess of clutter, mess and generally live in a haphazard manner it's hard to motivate myself to do anything. I find it utterly stifling. 
Oftentimes when I don't have access to easy meals, easy home maintainence and the ability to maintain the stability of my living situation in general, my mental health takes a huge nosedive. 
Having been homeless for fairly protracted periods of my life at a young age I attribute a lot of importance to holding onto relatively good living conditions. 

General organization helps me stay grounded too. Being able to have a solid baseline while my life is in a state of relatively constant turmoil provides a sense of normality. As an addict I find managing my money is the biggest overarching factor when it comes to maintaining (or not maintaining)  the sanctity of my psychological wellbeing. 

It's a constant effort and I certainly still struggle. 

@ShanghaiMetro thanks for sharing. I can relate to keeping my home organised and keeping an eye on finances. I have always lived on a small income and rent was always the first and most important thing to spend my money on. Having a home to nest and rest in.

good afternoon @Flyingbutter, @ShanghaiMetro, @Zoe7

my husband has bipolar 11

so I have found keeping the  home organised and keeping an eye on finances which is up to me helps my husband

also sleep and the enviroment in the house makes a big difference , my husband love being home -- too much really

and also food and drinks are very inportant too for wellbeing

@Shaz51 Yes, when I am frazzled I find I eventually come back to the basics and that is what grounds me and brings me back to balance. Sounds like this is a common experience, correct me if Im wrong.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance