Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Hi

I'm new to this group.

I have a german shepherd and I truly believe I would not be here if it wasnt for him.

He knows when I'm really down and just stays by me, one day two weeks ago I was suicidal and went as far as making a plan for when my partner went out but as I was lying on the bed he came up to me and put his head on my chest and just gave me this loving look right into my eyes like he knew what I was planning.  Then he started giving me these little gentle kisses on the hand.  It broke my heart so much I thought I cant leave him and here I am still today!

I have heard a lot of BPD sufferers get peace from their animals so its really upsetting to see so much wrong information about BPD especially the one that we ae meant to be cruel to animals - apparently this common?????  No BPD person I have ever talked to in a forum or personally that I know as felt this way to animals - its usally the same as us - they keep us alive literally!

Hi there @Change123.  Welcome to the forums.  Your reply on this discussion is also very welcome, so thankyou.

I am so pleased to hear that you have such a great companion as your GS, and also that he has you.  It is very much a two way street isnt it?

I have not heard that BPD sufferers are supposedly predisposed to being cruel to animals. But there again I do not know a lot about BPD, not being a sufferer myself.

However I strongly suspect that cruelty may well be more of a trait of personality rather than being restricted to a specific mental illness.  In other words I think there is unfortunately likely to be some cruel people among the general populace, which is certainly not restricted to BPD people.  I do believe however, that these people are a small minority, with the majority of people very caring of animals.

Certainly my little dog Holly has played a big part in keeping me alive over the years.  And I am really happy to hear your story.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi @Former-Member

My 2 cats have saved my life ... they have seen me in all states and are great for cuddles.  They are also great for observing aspects of behaviour that are similar amongst HOOOMANS.

@Queenie I lived in house with pet rats .. I liked them ... but like you ... they were not mine .. somehow it makes a difference.

Cheers All

Hello @Change123

welcome to the forum ,

pets a totally amazing , they know when we are unwell , when we are sick , when we need company

yes my dog stopped me from standing on a snake which was in the house

It is good to see you and maybe see you around in the other treads on the forum

Hi Change123. You're very lucky to have such a wonderful intuitive companion dog. I like to think these animals are sent specifically to us for a reason. I've had many dogs over the years but the ones I've had look out for me have been when I've been at my worst. I do believe they know & try to help if we're open to it. Think how devastated & unhappy ur dog wld be if you were not around to comfort. This thinking has kept me going over the years. Big hugs to you . 💕💕

Well its not something we pet owners didnt already know, but I just read an article about the benefits of having a dog (or any pet for that matter).  I guess its still nice to have official 'research' to back us up.

Here's a bit of a summary of what the article said:

Research shows that having your four-legged friends around the workplace can help lower blood pressure as well as stress levels.  The human-animal bond has also been shown to improve quality of life, and benefits mental, physical and emotional health.

Dogs (especially) not only mimimise stress if you are having a rough day, its also a great way to bond with other people in general.

So there you go ...... treat your 'best friend' with the love and devotion s/he deserves as one of your best mental and emotional health assets.  Enjoy your day with your pet and have a good day.  Heart

Yes, pets are wonderful for our health and wellbeing, they love us unconditionally and are always there. Until 10 days ago my little dog Pepsi was the one who kept me grounded and made me feel safe. We slept together and it was comforting for me to have her curled up on my chest at night. She used to have a blocked nostril so would make funny little noises before giving a big contented sigh then falling asleep. We were a comfort to each other. On the bad days when I was over-tired or over-anxious or hyper-vigilant, having her with me made such a positive differnce as those were the times I didn't want to be alone. Those nights when I cried bucket-loads of tears, or felt there was no bright future, Pepsi was there. When I increased my medication, then went off my medication, and when everything crashed around me, Pepsi was there. Sometimes it's hard to share what's going on with trusted others, but our pets seem to have a special sense that all is not well, but they are there loving us and trying to comfort us, no matter what.

I think one of the reason pets are so comforting to us is they are not judgemental, they are comforting and seem to be very intuitive on our feelings.  I think my boy thinks he is human and not a german shepherd at all and above all all there feelings are genuine and honest and they are always there for us.  They dont let us down like people!

Hello @Change123, yes, I agree , my animals think they are human too xx

Hello @Former-Member, how are you today and little holly going xx

Hello , @NatalieS, @LooneyToones, @Appleblossom

Hello @kiki, welcome to the forum , have you got any pets ??

Hi @Shaz51.

You are so right @Change123, many of our beloved pets do think they are one of us humans.  Definitely my Holly does.

Thanks for asking Shaz51, I'm not the best actually.  But I did manage to drag myself out for a walk with Holly this morning.  It was good for her and also for me, so I'm glad I forced myself to go, even though it was the last thing I felt like doing.  Woman Happy

I was at work on Tuesday and a gentleman came into the office with his little chihuahua called Princess.  She was just the most adorable little thing.  And ever so friendly, she came running over to me and just wanted to be picked up. She could probably smell Holly on me I'd say.  Anyway we had a little cuddle she and I, and lots of licks (her not me).  It made me smile and really made my day.  She reminded me a lot of Holly, only smaller.  Holly is only part Chihuahua.  Afterwards it occurred to me that its no wonder that many workplaces encourage people to bring their pets to work these days.  So I made a mental note to bring Holly in again next time I'm only likely to be in the office for a couple of hours.

I hope all are well?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance