Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Mulgajane
Senior Contributor

Leggo for hypomania

Hello folks 🙂 I have made a new discovery. 

In searching for a way in which to deal with my restless energy in the evenings I have rediscovered leggo! Who would have thought that little plastic bricks could be handy in taming not only the restless minds and fingers of children but 50 year olds as well!

Step one; sort the leggo. Oh what fun it is to organise! The countless ways in which one can classify..

Step two; Build anything you like. I started with a port, lighthouse and homestead. Last night I built a sailing ship with an all woman pirate crew.

Step three; Develop a backstory. Who are the characters in your creation? What are their emotional lives like? How did they come to be?

Step four; Tell all your friends and family about it. Each time somebody new enters the same room as your leggo (mine is sitting on the kitchen bench so it’s hard to avoid) regale them with a complete run down of your creation and watch their entertaining facial expressions. (Don’t worry if the adults don’t get it - the kids will 🙂

Enjoy!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Leggo for hypomania

Hi @Mulgajane, thanks for bringing a big smile to my dial. Who knew leggo was the answer to hypomania?! Smiley Very Happy

My pleasure @Mazarita 🙂

Thanks for that post @Mulgajane\

My son had a variety of disorders - one of them being hyperactivity and Lego was one of his favourite things

For a child who had trouble getting his head around a lot of things he was also something of a savant - he had a huge amount of Lego and he could see something in his mind and really do it well - and it would be really big and symmetrical

I am so thankful for those memories

Dec

Hi @Mulgajane, loved your Leggo post.  Up until a year or so ago, large plastic blocks, similar to Leggo, were my go-to when I was super-hyper and distressed, and I am closer to 60 than 50.  I had a huge plastic container that they were stored in.  I would up-end the box onto the table and would sort by colours or shapes and then stack them back in the box.  Then I would tip them out again and fill the box up again.  Just sorting and touching and making order out of chaos was extremely soothing. Smiley Happy

I really love this leggo post.Its really very helpful 

Hi @Mazarita @Owlunar @NatalieS @johnsmithinfo

thankyou so much for your feedback on the leggo post. 

It is exciting to hear how much a simple activity can help and now I am wondering how much the company Leggo knows about the healing properties of it's toy?

Thankyou for your gracious post Dec. I am glad that I have stirred positive memories for you. I am reminded to always be sensitive on this forum.

Mulgajane.

Hi @Mazarita @Dec @NatalieS @johnsmithinfo, @Mulgajane

what a wonderful thread @Mulgajane

when I used to do childcare in my home I used to build a house for every child, and when they chosse one they can add whatever they want to their houses and they get to play with their houses

soo many wonderful memeries

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance