Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Keeping safe

Hi everyone ive realised how outdated my safety plan is but the problem is im out of ideas on what sort of self care and activities people do to help keep themselves safe when the going gets tough.

So if you dont mind sharing.. what are some of your safe activities?
26 REPLIES 26
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Keeping safe

Hmm I like to stay in bed and watch serieses when I am not feeling well but I also do that anyway.

@outlander. I don't have a safety plan written. If I feel that suicide is a real risk, I tell my psychologist or gp and go to hospital straight away.
The moderators are good (offline) helping people write up a safety plan. Maybe you could ask @NikNik if you get stuck.
A very good idea to update your plan from time to time. That's good self care.

Thank you @bearssndwater

@utopia i usually do it offline but i need different ideas. The way i am i have constant suicide thoughts but can usually manage them with normal srlf care its usually when the planning comes in i cant handle it....

So you need new coping techniques @outlander?

Hmm maybe i should ask what sorts of things people do for self care please?

Yes please @utopia

This is a struggle for me @outlander as I don't seem to follow my own advice.
Mostly I divert my attention. If I can, I don't listen to my negative self talk and depression. Instead I read a book, watch tv, Facebook or Internet time.
I know it's important to keep in contact with others. See and chat with them at the horse paddock. Go for lunch. Chat on phone.
Do a hobby - drawing, writing, craft, sing, dance.
To be honest, I'm not doing any of these myself and I'm struggling because of it..
I hope you come up with a atrong safety plan that works really well for you.

I was helped to put together a sensory box. Its a box with something in it for each of the sences. Its very individual. Its what has meaning to you.

So i have pictures of family members. I.look at them and think how would they be affected if i did suicide. I have a picture of my oldest grandchild. Shes 19 now, but we are very close. She has suffered depression. What kind of an example am i to her?

I have my favourite scents lavender and eucalyptus.  Inhailing one of those kind of takes over and reminds me of the bush and my garden.

I have mp3player with mindfulness practices and my favourite relaxation music. It sounds of the ocean with gentle music. I play this every day.

I have a maple leaf that has dried out, but if you hold it up to the light there are slight traces of green. It reminds me there is still hope dispite how i feel..

I also have hand cream so i can take time to gentle massage my hands. Sometimes i like to have a really hot shower and let the water run over me from head to to. I then get into bed wrap the blanket around me, cuddle a large pillow and put my music on.

Ive found the more i use these tools it comes more easily when i am going down hill.

I also stop and think what do i need right now. It could be a hot chocolate to sip on. 

I know the worse i feel the more withdrawn i become. So i need to let someone know today. Its usually my psychiatrist  or psychologist.  I find it hard to reach out to family. I dont want to be a burden to them.

I guess it does come back to using those tools in your box and continually adding to them when something new works.

Hope that is of some help.

Hi @outlander,

I'm probably not much help because I've never understood the concept of a safety plan. I know exactly how I would end my life if I chose to do so and given I live alone and have no one to reach out to for support outside of the HC and Forum Land, I don't really understand what a safety plan would look like. I don't understand the concept of asking others to help keep me safe. Perhaps it's because I've had hundreds of instances where I did reach out for support either by going to the hospital and getting turned away, or calling lifeline and getting hung up on. I am not afraid to ask for help, but in my experience, help has not been forthcoming, so mostly now I just sit in my house rocking, stimming. The whole safety plan thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Smiley Frustrated

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance