Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

dhr53
Senior Contributor

Change

I would like to ask a question. I know the saying that is accept the things you cannot change. Sometimes I feel if things don't change it will not be good for me. I miss people a lot, I am married but I don't have any close friends. I live in a rural area. My partner is a lovely person, but very busy and we don't do much in the way of fun together. I love to exercise, but he doesn't. I have lovely children who live far away. I feel so lonely sometimes I know I talks to shop assistants etc over the top, cos I just want someone to talk. I am sorry if this is a sad sack story, it is how our feel.

12 REPLIES 12
CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Re: Change

Hi @dhr53,

There's no need to apologise for being sad on here.

The saying that you refer to I think goes like this: Please grant me serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, courage to accept the things that I can change, and wisdom to know the difference. 

I think the challenge in that saying - as well as life -  is knowing what is and isn't possible to change in your life. 

Sounds like it's isolating living in your rural town, and that you're unable to find the company that you'd like there. May I ask how long have you lived there? Although your hubby might not be up to getting out and about, is this something you could do? 

By the way, come and join us for Friday Feast here tonight if you're free. @Jacques@Mazarita @Shaz51 and @Former-Member are there. We'd love your company.

CherryBomb

hi dhr53      welcome to the forum , my husband who has anxiety and depression , we live in a small rural town , my husband has four children who lives a long way except for onewho lives 40 minutes away .

We don`t have any close friends , but i try to keep in communications with our children and family , it will take time and I have found the forums are so great like          said , and if you have any questions just ask

Shaz51
Community Guide

Hi dhr53          How are you today ??

MoonGal
Senior Contributor

@dhr53 - Sorry you are lonely, I know how that feels. I too end up saying way too much to shop assistants because I am isolated at home. I'm now the odd-customer Smiley Wink who talks about wierd stuff. <laughing at myself> My main company is my partner who works and supports us (I am very fortunate) and they too are busy with work and just wanting to 'unwind' when home. 

The saying about "accepting the things you cannot change", also comes with "the courage to change the things you can" and... "The wisdom to know the difference".

Change doesn't have to be huge, life relocations etc - it can be attitudinal, or just doing something slightly different. Setting some goals and reaching milestones might be helpful? (I need to listen to myself here!). 

Hi MoonGal                     you are totally right , just little changes makes all the difference ,

My main company is my Husband too who works and supports us (I am very fortunate),and is too  busy with work and just wanting to 'unwind' when home.   but I had to change my way of thinking , which has been the best thing i have done -- i find if i am calm and relaxed , he is too

I still need to remind myself from time to time

dhr53
Senior Contributor

Hi all I am trying to post a reply, but it says my authentication failed?
dhr53
Senior Contributor

So I will start again. I live on a farm, and I have been here for 36 years. It has been difficult at times, I am not sure if it is my attitude or the actual situation. More of the former I think. And that makes me feel I am not grateful enough for all that I do have. My default emotion is often joyless and I don't like that about myself either. I tend to drink a bit to much sometimes for respite from life especially when I am tired. I can't change where I live and i have tried to do stuff after work to improve my loneliness, but then I have to drive home 65 kms. I just don't know how to make it different, and is it all my attitude?
MoonGal
Senior Contributor

@dhr53 - Living in a rural place must make it very difficult to connect easily - and the 65 km drive there and back, makes it hard and a real effort, and too much 'thinking time' on the way home, eh?

I certainly didn't say it was ALL in the attitude by any means, yet, really where we are, our lives, what we decide to do - these things are circumscribed by having to weigh a lot of things in the balance. What DOES definitely help me (when I am travelling well) is setting my attitude with intention and attention. Making the most, or the best of the situation. 

I used to be a high level manager with a team, I was responsible for a lot of stuff, worked 80 hour weeks, thrived and survived in a difficult fast paced environment for near on a decade, then all that changed, it has taken me several years to come to terms with the fact that I 'broke' - that I am no longer capable of doing that kind of level of work, (or any paid work anymore). I felt helpless, hopeless, useless and despondent about my life's prospects being in my early -mid fifties with a good brain (when it isn't being mucked about by Bi polar). I have carved out a small life now, it is full of home and dogs and being for the first time in my life a stay at home 'wife'. I tackle projects around home like I am still the 'manager' and make it my 'job' to create a home for my partner as they are the one having to go out and earn our living.  I take that role very seriously like it is a 'paying' job - because it is!

So my attitude which used to be - "I am worth 'more than this", "I should be able to work", "I must be able to do xx or I am not a worthwhile human being", how "unfair it all is that I just want to do xx and can't anymore" had to change or I would drown in my own sorrow and mis-alignment of values and lifestyle. I adjusted my atttitude through - acceptance - I accepted that, despite the other part of me wanting it to be different, that its not, and all my railing against it was never going to make me what I no longer am.

I also got sober, stopped drinking and accepted that no matter what is going on in my life, drinking doesn't make it any easier or better, everything is harder with a hangover, relationships, work, friendships, mental health balance, fitness - everything. I have not had a drink for 5 years, and no matter how hard it got during those 5 years, and boy was it tough - severe back injury, surgery, mental health crisis, frail elderly Mum, losing my job, having a full-hysterectomy, losing both my darling dogs in the same year - I didn't pick up, because I KNOW that drinking alcohol was self medication (not a disease in itself per se) and now I know what is wrong with me, and have some relief from some medication I let that be the only mood altering 'drug' I take.

I hope sharing my story here shows more what I mean by attitude - For me it is a sailing term, and when one is becalmed at sea, or a storm is blowing - it is in the 'attitude of the sails"that makes or breaks us, it means one has a chance to ride out the conditions - skilfully -.

dhr53
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much for your story, especially your comments on acceptance. I am sorry you have been through so much. You deserve peace and happiness.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance