cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Burnt
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Tips, tricks and lessons learned

A safe thread to share any tips and tricks for helping manage disaster related trauma. We are all different but sharing what helps us, may help someone else! 

A tip from me is grounding! Reminding myself where I am, in this moment. Also walking barefoot. I know- strange? But I feel so happy doing so. 

I had a bit of a brake down today- just need to remind myself this shall pass too! 

A lesson learned: 

I’m the aftermath of disaster, family and friends can and will turn on you. 

Alot I know who has lost their home and received grant money has had a family member turn on them out of jealousy wishing they got the grants. A lesson learned the hard way. Toxic people are everywhere. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Tips, tricks and lessons learned

Hey @Burnt

I'm sorry to hear family hasn't been great for you. That's so sad to hear about the people who received money, only to have their family turn on them.

I guess my biggest lesson from the bushfires is: expect the unexpected. I remember they told us a westerly wind didn't happen on the coast, so we'd be safe. . . and what do ya know, it was a westerly that destroyed us.

Grounding helps me a lot too. I look around and think of 5 details I can see, 4 things I can hear, 3 things I can touch, 2 things I can smell, etc. And just deep, deep breathing.

I also think keeping up self-care is VITAL, too. I know I break down more when I'm stressed or not feeling great, so it's important to be gentle and care for yourself.

That grounding technique is a great one @YouAreNotAlone! I've also been run through of a similar exercise that involves turning your neck, so you look over one shoulder, find 3 things you can see, look over the other shoulder, find 3 more things and so on until you feel a little calmer or back to centre so to speak. I've unfortunately forgotten the brilliant explanation of what it does in terms of how it actually helps (I believe it has somthing to do with the vagus nerve in your neck). What I do know is that it helped ground and calm me when my emotions were running high. 

Thank you @YouAreNotAlone 

@the grounding is absolutely important. I use it nearly every day. I’m glad you have found it useful too.

Wonderful @TideisTurning , I have a similar approach to my grounding. 

Sharing my feelings and reading others is a great help for me. Thankyou 

@Poppet1 

yes, sharing and getting things off our chest is great isn’t it? 

Aswell as reading others- it helps me personally feel I am not so alone. 

Feel welcomed to share your feelings and experience with us here on the Life After Bushfires Forums. 

We are a welcoming bunch, and I love to read and listen to others stories about their experience with fires. 

@Burnt 

Love your grounding. I too, do a lot of bare foot time to connect and notice scents when I am outside. I also try to be grounded and sensible enough to wear solid boots in snake times as things warm up.  I feel fortunate that I know my local area enough.

It is really sad that people get jealous about compensation given.  I have hear that occur in another area where compensation has been given to only some parts of a family.  There are no easy answers.

Take Care

Smiley Happy

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: