cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

YouAreNotAlone
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Our communities feel forgotten; and we're furious

Is anyone else noticing a lot of anger lately?

My community was so horrifically impacted by the fires. Every day I hear story after story; people who are still fighting with insurance, people sleeping in tents, people being moved from temporary home to temporary home, unable to secure a rental. Councils raising prices and adding new costs that insurance won't cover. People who have the bushfire pods that are NOT fit for purpose because there's not enough beds or water or utilities . . .people who have even taken their lives as a direct result of this horrible year.

When COVID hit, the government did so much. Job keeper. Increasing payments and benefits. Where the HECK was that when we were burning?

And the media. When we were on fire, they all came and took our stories and then pat themselves on the back for doing a good thing. Now they're going to have more on that again show all the images and videos of us burning as if that's a GOOD thing; when NO. We need recovery, and showing our growth and current situations, rather than re-traumatising us all over again. 

It ENRAGES me. I wish I could do something to help more than this. I'm finding it hard not taking all that grief and trauma on. I want to scream it from the rooftops.

Can anyone else relate? How are you guys coping with the anger/resentment?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Our communities feel forgotten; and we're furious

I'm so sorry you've felt forgotten and left behind @YouAreNotAlone. Your anger and frustration is completely understandable given everything you've gone through and seeming to only have token acknowledgements. Unfortunately, I feel like it's all too common for media to do these sorts of things like a 'feel good' effort as you said, but that doesn't take away any of the impact for you. The grief and trauma too sound like really normal experiences after everything. I'm wondering if there's anything you can think of that you might be able to do to lessen their impact? If these feelings are becoming too distressing though, I'd really encourage you to reach out for support from somewhere like Lifeline (13 11) or Sane's Help Centre.  

Please know we're here and we hear you, and that you are doing so much to impact the Life After Bushfires community here on the forums by sharing your insights and being so open about how you're feeling and what you've experienced. 

@YouAreNotAlone  I hear you. I’m sorry you have been forgotten and left behind because of Coronavirus. You have every right to feel anger.

Is it worth talking to a politician ? You probably have already done so, and done many other things to try and help.

Sending you ❣️❣️❣️ Little comfort, I know.

I agree with  you. You are not alone. You could be writing about my community on south coast.

For me every day since the fires destroyed my home and business, I have thought about the loss. I dont need an anniversary showing all those distressing pictures to remember. I was in interviewed at the time and now I worry those pictures and an image of my shop sign will be shown on tv or in social media.

I know covid has affected lots of people but when radio programd talk about how 2020 affected you there is barely a mention of fires.

Thanks for your post. 

Hi @YouAreNotAlone Just tagging you here so you see the post above from @Klutz who can relate 💙

hello and hugs @YouAreNotAlone 

Hello @Daisydreamer@Klutz@Maggie@TideisTurning 

now that I have seen my own house fire has given me a better understanding about the fires , maybe not the same but xxx

@Klutz  I get so upset when I hear radio or news about 2020 covid, or even friends on fb talking about how hard it was. 

I get it was really, really hard on a lot of people. Not seeing family and losing work and panicking. 

But I feel so “forgotten” when someone who barely was effected by the lockdowns talk and tell me about how hard their year is. How hard it was to stay home and bake bread and work on their hobbies, while I was sleeping in a van, cooking on a fire, toileting in a hole or walking to neighbours toilet. I wish I got to spend 5 months in my beautiful house baking bread and gardening.

I get it, but I wish my problems (from the fires) where just as little as theirs. 

I know I’ve just hijacked @YouAreNotAlone 

to respond to you about this. Apologies @YouAreNotAlone 

Thank you @TideisTurning ❤️

I write my feelings and emotions, so I've got a LOT of material. And thank you. I felt if I was feeling these things, I'm sure others are too. I hope it helps people not feel so alone.

@Maggie I hadn't actually thought of talking to a politician! I know a lot of locals are angry with our local politicians so it's a bit hard . . . And overwhelming. I wouldn't even know what to say, to be honest.

Hi @YouAreNotAlone,

It is my first day back after the holidays, and I wanted to check in and see how you are going?

I was thinking about all our members here this week while I was on the south coast with family  chatting with them about how they are coping through the first anniversary- there was a lot of mixed emotions. 

I hope you had people to turn to and places to be heard the last couple of weeks 💙 Sending my thoughts

Daisydreamer 🌼

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: