cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Poppet1
Contributor

Not going mad

I visited my old GP today and we talked abt the devastating year we have had and specifically about the fires. He has and is feeling as i have been and confirmed we are suffering a form of PTSD, and that counselling may help. Next week I'm going to organise a mental health plan for the new year!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Not going mad

Hey @Poppet1 and welcome to the forums 😊 I'm one of the moderators, lovely to meet you. What a huge step in going to your GP and having that conversation. Not only that but being ready to reach out to a counsellor and here too. Sounds like you're feeling really motivated to connect and support your mental health. 

I'm sure you'll find lots of support and connection here, it's a welcoming place. You might find the Community Guidelines helpful in getting a sense of how it all works. 

Members will jump in soon, look forward to seeing you around 🌻

Hi @Poppet1 & welcome! You're certainly not 'going mad', but I'm sensing the relief it sounds the diagnosis has brought with it for you and I can certainly relate to how good it's been for me to have a name and explanation for things I've experienced.

That sounds like a great plan to access more formalised support, and I hope you'll also find support from peers on the Forums here. 

thanks
Burnt
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Welcome @Poppet1  to the forums! 

First I would like to say what an achievement it is to go see the gp. 

It may seem small, but it’s a big step in the right direction. 

We all know how dreadful it can be to make that appointment. 

Regarding your potential diagnosis- it’s also helpful to have some answers, to help with healing and moving forward. 

A diagnosis is just the beggining of the road to get the correct help you need. Counselling has really helped me (and a lot of others I know) after this horrid year. 

Starting 2021 with the mental health plan is a great way to begin the fresh year. I’m wishing you all the best over the Christmas and new year period. 

Well done @Poppet1 for seeking help. I sounds like your gp is very supportive. Hopefully they told you that there are additional Medicare funded psychology sessions available in the coming year - making 20 in total. It can take a while to find a counsellor who is a good fit for you - so important that you feel safe and connected with them. Persevere it's worth it!

Big welcome to the form. So may of us have experienced of trauma, and support each other.

Hi @Poppet1  I feel the same. Welcome to the forum. Everyone has been really welcoming for me. 

Fizz

Welcome @Poppet1 You may also want to consider developing a self care plan. There are lots of examples available on line - here is just one example - this is also a good guide into how to develop one. Take care 
https://schools.au.reachout.com/articles/developing-a-self-care-plan 

YouAreNotAlone

@Poppet1 I am SO glad you reached out for help!!!!!

A mental health care plan is fantastic and it's so great to just talk about whatever you want with someone who doesn't know you. Stoked for you! You are definitely not mad: you've been through something traumatic. But heck, even reaching out (in this forum and to your dr) takes a HECK LOAD OF STRENGTH.

I hope you feel proud about that!

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: