cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

IamNOTalone
Contributor

I can save myself from drowning but can never get out of the rip

that’s how I feel I am coping. I can save myself from drowning in the endless list of things needing to do, but I can never swim out of the rip and get ahead. Or a break. I’m tired of constantly using so much energy just to stay afloat. If I just had enough mental strength to pull myself up and out, I could then use this energy for good. And I could maybe catch a break 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: I can save myself from drowning but can never get out of the rip

@IamNOTalone  I can hear you.

Is it this time of year in particular, or all year round ?

I’m sorry it’s such a struggle . Do you have any support, professional or family and friends ?

Sending you some positive vibes, hoping today has some light in it for you especially.

Hey again @IamNOTalone  I understand you. I too find myself overwhelmed and barely keeping myself from drowning. 

I’m not sure how to fix it, or help he situation. I just take some deep breaths when I feel intense and stressed. 

You’re doing a great job keeping yourself afloat. It’s exhausting, emotional and stressful. 

Sometimes life is just a rip and we need to just roll with it, or float with it. Relax. Breath. It will all be ok. Write a list of your most important to dos- write a list of less important (like clean the stove, small things) 

tackle big to dos when you have the time, and tackle a few little to dos everyday. I’ve been doing that so far, trying to do a few little things every day. 

You know how to swim and you will get yourself out of this rip. 

Take care

That sounds really rough @IamNOTalone. I really like what @Burnt has suggested, though I'm wondering if there's anything you can think of that might help you float along a little easier until the waters calm a little?

It’s been like this all year sadly, but getting worse this time of year with the anniversary.

I like the list idea. I might give it a try @Burnt 

i think Christmas is making it worse. The stress of buying presents but financially not being able to.

@TideisTurning nothing I can think of besides more time, or someone to help in this time. To help me get things done, like a working bee

Time is a wonderful healer @IamNOTalone! The working bee sounds like a great idea too. I hope you can find others to rally around and help out! Take care

@IamNOTalone 

hi again, have you tried a list for helping the stress levels? 

Even if mentally: if so , how have you gone?

@IamNOTalone
I feel this sooooo much. For me . . . it's like I am screaming at the top of my lungs, but no one can hear me. It's like I'm falling; and sometimes I can claw my way just to the edge, but never to the light--and there is no stop to the falling, because there is no end. It's just endless darkness and constant effort to fight all the time.

Pulling yourself out of that feeling is the HARDEST thing you can do. Is there anything that helps you feel better?

In my experiences . . . it starts small. Try new things; even small things. Every night when I go to sleep now, I also run through all the things that are affecting me, and then run through what I'm proud of in that day (even if it's just "I got out of bed today"), and then what I'm grateful for. Gratitude, meditation and mindfulness has been so powerful for me; there's good ones on YouTube and Spotify. But it helps you appreciate on the miracles that are in life--and focus on the good, while letting go of things that hold you back.

Just breathe deep. Practice self-care. Enjoy the small moments, and seek help when you need to.

This too shall pass.

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: