Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: SANE Forums - Staff Update!

Hello @Former-Member 

Welcome to your new role

I was surprised that you singled out my response.

My reference to lived experience was only in relation to those who had mentioned this, not that everyone should have experience of this to be effective in their roles.

The very nature of anyone experiencing symptoms of what is referred to as "mental illness" is so different for each and every person.

I strongly believe in not categorising or boxing diagnoses.

Along with this, I feel that it is important to not pre-empt or judge a person for their verbal or non-verbal expression.

Sadly, I have spent some time deciding in whether or not to respond.

I have come to the conclusion that I must.

I believe, even more so in an environment of this kind where the intention is to include everyone whether or not they express themselves in a way that "fits" , it is vital that we feel safe to respond to anyone within the forum guidelines.

I realise that there will probably be many who think that I am being harsh, over-reactive.

I am being honest.

I am opening up about how I truly felt when I read the post. I was singled out.

How is this encouraging? I ask.

I have been told to stand up for myself more and more because past experiences have robbed me of my self-esteem.

I am rebuilding this and emerging stronger.

Please do not respond to people in a way where they might feel singled out. This is not helpful, in fact, potentially more damaging, certainly hurtful for those of us who have been downtrodden and are rising up.

Whoever, writes on these forums has a right to speak, must not be judged, as with anyone in the "real world", we do not know their story.

I have said what I needed to say.

I am not angry.

I am disappointed and hurt.

Hi @Sophia1, thank you for writing

First, I’m sorry that my post impacted you in that way. Even though it was not at all my intention to single you out or discourage you from speaking, I understand from your post that this was the effect it had on you, regardless.

If it helps to know, my intention was only to respond to a point you'd raised, which I don’t believe anyone else did, about lived experience in the new peer support staff. There was no judgement in where I was coming from with this.

My interpretation of your initial post was that existing staff didn’t necessarily have lived experience, which I wanted to clarify for the community, although I should have clarified if this is what you had meant first.

Thank you for your honesty, please do continue to speak up, and I hope you can continue to feel safe on the forums.

Girasole Heart

Thank you for replying to my post @Former-Member 

@Former-Member wrote:

Hi @Sophia1, thank you for writing

First, I’m sorry that my post impacted you in that way. Even though it was not at all my intention to single you out or discourage you from speaking, I understand from your post that this was the effect it had on you, regardless.

If it helps to know, my intention was only to respond to a point you'd raised, which I don’t believe anyone else did, about lived experience in the new peer support staff. There was no judgement in where I was coming from with this.

My interpretation of your initial post was that existing staff didn’t necessarily have lived experience, which I wanted to clarify for the community, although I should have clarified if this is what you had meant first.

Thank you for your honesty, please do continue to speak up, and I hope you can continue to feel safe on the forums.

Girasole Heart

I thank you also for your honesty also. Your last sentence helps reassure and allow some room for calm.

You have responded to me without becoming defensive or trying to justify your original post.

This is what means the most to me.

This does not mean that you are wrong and I am right.

This means that we can as you encouraged feel safe in speaking up when something does feel odd.

I must say my intention was to refer to having lived experience acknowledged amongst the new peer support staff, as a great thing. I was not aware whether or not this was the case with all previous and or current staff. This is my trying to explain my words, not defend or justify, if this makes sense.

Best outcome is we have proven that we can all write about the same thing in our own styles and never be sure whom we might offend.

Knowing this, it is helpful for others to read also that this is alright as reassurances are given.

We are safe in being ourselves.

The uniqueness of our individual minds will always open up new discussions.

Welcome aboard and enjoy meeting so many interesting people, whom we would not have the opportunity to do so in the world outside of the forums.

🎈

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance