Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Baymax
Casual Contributor

Inpatient support

Hi everyone, 

I am so pleased to have found a space where people genuinely want to support each other and be open about their experiences.

I have a friend who lives in Melbourne (I live in NSW) who has been diagnosed with both PTSD (many years ago) and Bipolar (about 2 years ago).  

For the past year or so they have been really struggling with a deep depression; suicidal and homicidal thoughts and have also recetnly started telling those close to them "what they want to hear".  This includes close family and their current psych.

Fortunately(? - doesnt quite seem the right word, but hopefully you understand what I mean) I am still hearing about the depths of the depression and the suicidal thoughts (has a plan but no time frame - and I believe no means - at this point in time).  

Back in December I was asked to reseach inpatient support - and while a referral was obtained, this was not followed up.  I am not sure why, but the place we originally looked at is now no longer an option.  

just today I was asked to look into this again - so, I am reaching out in the hopes that someone can guide me/us to potentially suitable inpatient centres.  I beleive that cost may be a consideration (more through not wanting to spend money as currently not working, rather than can't actually afford).

I am not sure if VIC works differently to NSW (not that I am particulalry familiar with NSW anyways) and I am also looking for any info that is concise (or that I can summarise) on the process to enter and how to work out costs/payment options involved.   I haven't found google particularly helpful this time around (Although it did lead me here).

Also, what would be the key questions/things we would look for in a centre?

Thanks heaps

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Inpatient support

Hi @Baymax

Welcome to the Forums. 

Navigating your way through the mental health care system can be pretty confusing. 

Generally inpatient support can be tough to access. These are usually psych units attached to public hospitals. Admission into these usually requires that a person is assessed as being at immediate risk to themselves or others. Is your friend wanting to voluntary admit themselves? They may need to talk to their psych about their homicidal and suicidal thoughts. Their psych can than organise an assessment and referrals. Also, does your friend have friends or family that can attend appointments with them?

Otherwise, there are private options. Does your friend have health insurance? My understanding is that these will also require an assessment from a doctor/psych. 

To find some information, you can check out Mindhealthconnect for information and referrals. 

And finally, it's ok for members to provide each other with information about services, but we ask that member not give recommendations about services. This is because in the Community Guidelines  we ask that member refrain from posting anything that might be seen as serving commerical interests. 

Hope you find the information you need. 

All my immediate family (7) have been admitted to public MI institutions except 3 people ... daughter, 1 x sister, 1 x brother

I never had any luck dunno why.

I have found if there is some cash available doing personal development or music or spirituality workshops can have the same effect .... some are cheap ..eg Vipassana ... christian retreats at monasteries

BIG gain ... is that it then becomes self-directed and person has more AGENCY and CONTROL ... but minimal public spitting dummy and bad behaviour options.

Good Luck ... you are a good friend to try and help.

Thanks for this suggestion. Really appreciate it

Thanks for the information and links. My experience has been largely through disability and I am in an NDIA trial site so starting to get a feel for some of the intricacies of MI - however it is just so different. This has been incredibly helpful

Hi Baymax!

From lived experience, things to look out for in a centre are if the centre runs to a schedule, with group sessions and time spent together. Some wards are just places for patients to pace halls or hide in their rooms the whole time (kid you not, 40+ yr old woman in room next to mine was in her room the whole time. That would be fine,but she got visited maybe once a day, outside of dropping meals in for her.)

Your friend wants that space to be held for their reflection and growth, or for rest. Having your day mapped out for you, whether you participate or not, can take away so much of the burden that functioning in life places on us when we're sick.

Also, ask how often consults occur. Once a week, when ultimately a stay lasts between a few days and a week (unless more acute), is not enough insight!! They can't possibly diagnose if reading magazines in office all day, then throw all the questions onto you in one half hour session two weeks in!!

Also,

Take care of yourself too! Supporting a friend, and as carefully as it sounds you are, is amazing. X

Oh!

You may not get much choice in end if it is acute, have drs given referrals?

At the end of day, ensure that once your friend is admitted (whether voluntarily or involuntarily), that they have access to an advocate. Whether that be you, their family, another health professional your friend trusts, or sourcing peer advocacy. Hopefully it's not needed, but it is important to have advocates on hand, even if just to go through things that drs have said that were overwhelming at time and now your friend doesn't understand or forgets.

Thankyou so much for your insight @Sehnsucht, I really appreciate it.  This is the type of concrete information I can work with.

@Appleblossom I have suggested a few places just to "take a break"  - will see how it goes.Thankyou once again

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance