Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Mindfulness & feeling good at work // Friday 1 July

Career Chat.jpg

You may have heard of Mindfulness. There’s a lot of information out there and seems to be a bit of a buzz word in the mental health sector at the moment.

But what exactly is mindfulness?

The basic notion is that mindfulness is an important mindset, that helps bring ourselves into the present moment. This means it releases us of anxiety producing thoughts, which reduces stress to help you feel good (or great! 😊 ).

This Friday's Career Chat hosted by Ostara we will be discussing what mindfulness is and isn't, plus learning techniques for developing the mindfulness mindset and understanding how we can use it at work (and anytime!) to feel good.

We have kicked off today's session a big welcome to @sadgirl and @mumsbestfriend who asked for a reminder 🙂

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Career Chat // Mindfulness & feeling good at work // Friday 1 July

Hi @NikNik

This is a good topic!!!

Mindfulness at work - how??  I work in pharmacy and I guess I am being mindful when talking to customers, listening to what they are saying.

But apart from that I can't see how else I am being mindful.  To be being mindful is being in the present, not thinking about yesterday or thinking about tomorrow.  I can do this at home; but at work it is totally different. There are too many distractions to be mindful.  Or have I got this whole thing wrong?

Sorry can't be there to chat, but would love to 'join' in the conversations.

Can't be there for chat but my question is "Is mindfulness a skill to be taught and learned or does it

just happen, as one might meditate?"  Bimby2

Looking forward to that one 🙂

Good morning and welcome to today’s important forum about … Mindfulness in the workplace. Thank you to @NikNik for your introduction and to @sadgirl, @Bimby2and @Former-Member  for your interest and queries.

I am happy to say that today, I think your questions will be answered .. and maybe some new questions will be raised.

Let’s begin with what is out there about mindfulness …

I really love this image to depict Mindfulness (because let’s face it there’s a lot of information out there and it’s not all clear) 

mindful_pet in park.jpg

So what do you make of this image?

Sometimes a picture can tell 1000 words and in this case it’s definitely trying to do that – there are often 1000 thoughts racing around in the person's mind ... while he or she walks through the park.

Mindful practice says we should come into the present and just be in the space we are in … right here right now and therefore experience the moment more fully.

For the person in this image thoughts are racing … not necessarily anxiety producing thoughts either … just random thoughts.

But the pet doggy is just present, looking at what’s around, experiencing the park. Nothing more.

The deeper sub message of this image is that when you are mindful you are not going to hold onto things because you’re always in the present moment. The liberating aspect of this is that every moment is fresh and new and holds NO previous or anticipatory anxiety producing thoughts … which of course can be very relaxing.

Notice how children and animals don't bring any extra thoughts to the moment - theyr'e just 'in it'?

Are you ever able to just be in the present moment? Have you experienced what this pup is experiencing – just what you’re seeing and not what you mentally and emotionally bring to the situation?

Is all this confusing?

Love to know your thoughts ...

Hello?

Good morning @Bimby2 what a great question!

Thanks for being part of this!

Mindfulness is definitely a learned skill - anyone can learn it because we all started life this way!

As children we could only ever operate in a mindful state - we had no previous experience of anything so all we brought to our life was open curiosity ...

However as we grew up we were bombarded with information and maybe ... anxiety producing situations which then coloured and influenced all our future experiences.

These thoughts unless controlled can have cumulative and detrimental effects - but we can re-learn to let go of our 'invading thoughts' and simply be in the moment, once again experiencing things as we did when we were children (hey wouldnt' that be cool!)

The big question is ... how do we do that?

And your meditation idea is perfect because through developing a meditation practice you can train your mind to be stiller ... when it's still you are less likely to allow intrusive thoughts ... therefore producing more prolonged mindful activity.

That is, more activities and experiences in which you just enjoy the moment with curiosity and little or no judgement.

Other ways of learning mindfulness include consciously being aware of your thoughts, this takes practice but it's worth it. That's why you hear people saying 'come into the present moment' because when you realise you're not 'in the here and now' you can stop your racing mind, focus on something in the present moment and stop stressing ... or stop your mind racing.

I hope this has helped, love to hear your experiences with meditation or mindfulness if you get a chance. Smiley Happy

Hello!

Hello! Is there anything on your mind about mindfulness?

Good morning @Former-Member, love to hear from you today ... any experience with mindful practice at work or anywhere?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance