Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

harry-aus
Casual Contributor

what to do when it feels like you have done everything

I have "treatment resistant" Major Deppressive Disorder along with a whole other list of diagnoses and have been actively seeking treatment for about 2 years with no success whatsoever. I have tried ECT 12 times and way too many medications which only have made my life much worse and been addmitted to hospital quite regularly. and have been in bed for the past 3 weeks unable to leave the house to goto any doctors or pshychologist appointments and things just seem to be deteriorating and i was hoping to see if anyone has had any experience or suggestions to give me when things seem pretty hopeless. any help would be greatly appreciated,

thank you

18 REPLIES 18

Re: what to do when it feels like you have done everything

Oh boy, you're sure going through the mlll of late & its crushing b to tried nearly everything. Sorry this is happening to you. What to say when I myself is not in a much better place. So, if nothing else YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Can you connect with anyone face to face? Do you have a hobby that energises you? Are you eating vegies every day?i use slow cooker every week to preparw yummy thick vegie lentil soup that lasts a week) are you well hydrated (2L day quality water)? Do you get direct sunlight on skin every day - hows your vit-d levels. I take one vit-d day now which has helped. Be kind with yourself. Read Russ Harris Reality Slap.
If you were your own best friend, what would you say to help?

thank you for replying and i really appreciate any advice i can get, it means alot. I guess im just feeling too drained to do anything, i barely leave my bed or even shower and I struggle to walk. I feel like ive lost all my friends from not talking to anyone in months, Im lucky to have very supportive parents but unfortunately there is nothing they can do and i can tell they get upset when they try and fail. im just worried because i cant even goto doctors appointments anymore and im not sure on how to stop it getting worse. I am just in tears everyday and can barely function and just need to break this cycle but wouldnt know where to start

@harry-aus wrote:

thank you for replying and i really appreciate any advice i can get, it means alot. I guess im just feeling too drained to do anything, i barely leave my bed or even shower and I struggle to walk. I feel like ive lost all my friends from not talking to anyone in months, Im lucky to have very supportive parents but unfortunately there is nothing they can do and i can tell they get upset when they try and fail. im just worried because i cant even goto doctors appointments anymore and im not sure on how to stop it getting worse. I am just in tears everyday and can barely function and just need to break this cycle but wouldnt know where to start

Hey, I'm not that great with the empathy stuff so I hope I can offer you some advice. But sorry that you're in this situation, it must suck and I wouldn't know what to do either. 

Maybe, could you get your parents to take you to the doc's. That way they can manage the organising and getting you there. I'm guessing you've already tried this so my apologies if you have. 

Have you called your Psychiatrist and asked their advise?

yeh ive talked to a couple and they all say that i should be in hospital but i just got out of hospital a couple of weeks ago and it only made things far far worse (im not saying anything bad about hospitals, just in my personal experience they have always been very negative.) im just a bit lost because i cant keep this going at home and i cant keep it going in a hospital so just trying to find any other options

I'm confused you said you spoke to a couple of psychiatrists. Don't you have one Dr who manages your mental health, a dr you see on a regular basis who manages your medication and admits you to hospital when needed?

ive seen plenty of pshychiatrists in the past but no longer have one and i have a GP who i usually see regularly but havent seen in over a month because i havent been able to leave the house so my parents have been picking up my medication for me, which is frustrating not even being able to see my doctor

You see a GP.. they don't have the skills to manage severe mental health issues.  That's why we have speciaists.  A GP can't admit you to hospital if necessary.

If leaving home is an issue for you, which it is for many with mental health issues, many Physiciatrists offer appointments via web chat.  Surely your GP would be aware of that.  Its common knowledge. 

Either your GP isn't very good or he'she doesn't think your mental health issues are that serious or they would have put actions in place to ensure you got the help you would need.

Put some actions in place to help yourself.

its a bit hard to put actions in place to help myself when i dont even have the motivation to get out of bed, and im trying really hard i just dont know what to do the only actions they have suggested is hospital but even they know that it has done more harm than good

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance