Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MrResilient26
Casual Contributor

dealing with anxiety and trying to deal with trauma/unforseen circumstances

Hey i have never posted on a forum like this but i feel that i need to share some of my struggles with anxiety especially being a young guy as a lot of guys think they can just put their pain aside and continue on. i know from personal experience that if i was to take that approach of oh it's ok i will be right i would probably be in hospital or even worse. i have struggled with anxiety since i was about 13 and it was horrible as i didn't know how to cope with my anxiety and i would have panic attacks and even nose bleeds i was so anxious. also i didn't have many friends in highschool and college so it made my school years even more difficult and lonely. I have had suicidal thoughts and it is a really dark place to be and i do not wish it upon anybody.

My bioligocal mum had schizophrenia and was diagnosed when she was only 13, she suffered through this illness and i will always admire her courage in the midst of her mental and psychological pain. she sadly passed away in 2010 due to cancer but i know she is in Heaven with My Lord and Saviour. Anyway want to say to people that no matter what you have and are going through you are loved and you are important. We all have our purpose on this beautiful earth and i know that we all need each other to get through the really tough and sometimes brutal circumstances and i want whoever to reads this to know that i care about you and that you are enough. i saw a quote that said " sometimes existing is a full time job if you have a mental health condition" and i couldn't agree more as i have and do feel that way sometimes.

I have more of my story to share but i will save it for another time.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: dealing with anxiety and trying to deal with trauma/unforseen circumstances

Hi Mr Resilient26, welcome to the forums and thank you for the courage to post and share part of your story. It takes strength to reach out. Your words are inspirational and it is a nice message which may help others. It is good to be able to talk about it and get support from others. These forums are a safe place to share your story and feel like you are not alone. Can others relate to some of what has been said? 

Hello @MrResilient26

Its an important point that males are able to talk about their experiences with mental health.

My parents were diagnosed with schizophrenia too. I also know that my parents had a lot of courage even if it didnt look like it. I knew that when I was young but still it is also difficult to survive in a world where our parents cannot make our entry into society easier ..

Hope you stay around and keep posting.

Hi @ Appleblossom,

Sorry to hear that both your parents had schizophrenia. I was scared when i was younger of inheriting schizophrenia as i researched i had a 10% chance of being diagnosed with it.

Thankfully that isn't the case but i still have anxiety disorder and an element of depression that i need to take seriously and get the support to stay on top of it. It is hard work to look after myself even more than the average person who may never get a mental health condition. I was dismissive of my issues back in December last year and i was very close to commiting suicide as i felt trapped and that there was nowhere i could go to feel safe. I had to be put on medication as i was extremely anxious and i was jittery and could not calm myself down.

I do struggle with anger and i am making some progress and my counsellor suggested that i use positive outlets such as weights, footy, and drumming as I've been a drummer for 15 years now. I need to realise that as a guy who has been hurt severely and is hurt should not take it out on my loved ones as I have been guilty of this sometimes.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance