Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sticks
New Contributor

Who helps the Psychologist?

My spouse is a psychologist and is having problems. They have episodes where they feel worthless, useless, can't make a simple decision, can't face the day.

They work in education and feel highly stressed. In the last 4 years both of my spouses parents have passed away and they only have one sibling and there is a great distance between the two but they talk once a week.

I know my spouse needs to talk to someone professional but they refuse to do it. I know that a work colleague offered to talk but they still won't talk to them as they don't want to talk to a friend or colleague about their problems.

One minute my spouse can be ok then at the flick of a switch they go into a depression, crying and not wanting me to be around.

I want to help but don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Who helps the Psychologist?

Welcome @Sticks.
Many professions struggle with workplace stress, as do many people. Teachers, Drs, Nurses, Paramedics and other emergency services can experience extreme stress..
Some organisations offer access to Employee Assistance Program. Perhaps you could ask your spouse whether they have access to it? As I understand it, tapping into EAP is not a career limiting move as all discussions are confidential.
Or perhaps your spouse could contact the peak industry or professional association for Educational Psychologists.
They might have some good services or mentors available.
Other than that, your spouse might want to try a mental health plan through your local GP.
There are also community based groups like grow, anxiety support groups and voices groups..
I suppose the broader issue is whether your spouse is wanting to get help and what kind of supports they are willing to try is the important issue..

Just to clarify..anyone can experience stress and grief in a myriad number of ways..if however you think your spouse's work is also impacting on their mental health then it is worth checking to see what workplace supports are available or through union or industry association. Mostly because they may be provided for free.
Mental Health Plan through a GP only provides a limited number of subsidised sessions with a psychologist, can still be large gap payment..depends on who your spouse is referred to by a GP.

Thank you Sandy, I'll suggest this information when the time is right and see how it goes.

Hi Sticks,

Thank you for sharing your story. It must be hard to see your loved one not feeling ok and that you don't know what to do to help especially she's a professional herself. Many people are on the same boat when supporting their friends and family who are reluctant to get help.

Sandy's suggestions are great and at the same time, please look after yourself too by having a chat here and look for resources for yourself. It depends on where you live and there are different carer's counselling services available if you google it 🙂

Take care, Sky

Fantastic response- im trying to "like" this but the computer isn't letting me 😛
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance