Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sylvia26
Contributor

Schizophrenia/alcohol dependence

Hi there,
I am new to these forums, I just wanted to reach out a to someone at the moment and share a bit of my story/situation.
I have been living with schizophrenia, depression and anxiety for 6 years now and have recently discovered that I have an alcohol dependency problem.
I am currently 3 weeks sober, however, I am finding it difficult to relearn how to deal with my anxiety and schizophrenia sober. I have been on medications for both the schizophrenia and depression for 6 years and they manage it, but not all the time, most of the time they just dull it down.
I find it hardest in the evenings when I used to drink because I get anxiety attacks and symptoms of my schizophrenia. I occasionally go to AA meetings but find they trigger my anxiety and make cravings worse.

Basically, I need ways to deal with my symptoms of schizophrenia and anxiety in the evenings to keep my mind calm, or I will relapse with my drinking and that's not something that I want to do.

I have trouble with my friends and family as they do not understand why I can't keep a job, or maintain study, because some days my anxiety prevents me from being around people. If I push myself through this anxiety, most of the time it makes me feel worse later on rather than better, and then the only way I can deal with that feeling is to drink to diffuse the tension. And drinking is something I can no longer do.
I just feel that I can't find someone that understands me and maybe I never will, and that makes me feel incredibly lonely, but for now, some better coping techniques would be helpful.
Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Schizophrenia/alcohol dependence

Hello @Sylvia26, welcome to the Forums.  You've done incredibly well to reach three weeks of sobriety.  That's huge.  But it's a bit of a rite of passage to now find yourself having to deal with the thing that drove the drinking in the first place.  Reaching out through the Forums for some suggestions is a great start.  Apart from AA, are you connected anywhere else?

Now seems to be the time to get the most help and support possible - a psychologist, drug and alcohol counsellor, your GP.  Anyone who has a compassionate ear and can help you start to build some skills around managing your symptoms.  Anxiety, in particular, can often be helped through cognitive and behavioural changes.  Ways that help you to stay calm and feel a little more in control. 

Do you have good professional support?  It's a very tough road to try to travel alone.  

Hi @suzanne, thanks for your response.
I have many professionals helping me out atm, my GP is extremely good, psychiatrist, psychologist and drug and alcohol counsellor are all really good.
Unfortunately, however, I have relapsed with my drinking and not doing too well 😞
With the meds the alcohol tends to make me a whole
Lot worse and it tends to lead to suicidal thoughts.
It's really scary, it's like a monster (the suicidal thoughts) that pops up every so often and tells me that everyone around me would be better off if I was dead.
I have reached out to family, but they don't know how to deal with it and as a result just ignore things. I don't know what to do! I am seeing my key worker tomorrow morning as I have spoken to her as well and told her I'm not safe on my own and hopefully we can work out some strategies for me to cope.
Thanks.

Hi @Sylvia26. I've just read your posts now. I too live with schizophrenia and although I can occasionally drink, I used to be an alcoholic. The way I got through in the end was medication to stop the cravings and a whole new circle of friends to be around. These days I find I can enjoy a drink (just one) and leave it at that, but it has taken me years to get to that point. Some people are better off maintaining a complete abstinence approach. 

I notice you have mentioned you have current suicidal thoughts? Are you safe right now? If not, are you able to discuss this with a trusted person or call Lifeline or 000? I would hate to think something awful could happen to you. If you are at all feeling very unsafe tonight before you see your keyworker tomorrow, please don't hesitate to call emergency services. 

I am a visual/auditory hallucination person. I am currently in hospital myself getting my meds sorted out after my auditory hallucinations were giving me suicidal commands. I am getting through it by talking about my experiences, both here online in and RL to my psychiatrist, nurses etc. I was finding myself getting very agitated and upset by what was happening to me, but now 4 weeks later, I am beginning to come back to the world thankfully and the suicidal thoughts are passing. I hear what you are saying with the alcohol making things worse, it usually makes my schizophrenia ten times worse (paranoia and all) if I drink to excess.

I'm sure everyone wouldn't be better off with you dead. Hang in there and keep on fighting the good fight!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance