Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Allie
New Contributor

Scared

Hi Everyone,

I have battling an eating disorder, depression and anxiety for over a decade.

Ive seen counsellors, psychologists and been on medication.

12 months ago, things came to a head and I suffered a major depressive episode.

I went and saw my GP, who referred me to a counsellor, however I found I just couldnt talk about things anymore. A decade of talking hasnt got me anywhere, really.

I have been reading many books and trying different things all to no avail.

I found I got to the point where I just didnt want to try anymore.

Things went from bad to worse with my eating disorder, I felt crazy. So I called EDV (eating disorders Victoria) and organised to see a psychologist. 6 weeks later, another depressive episode and I am wondering what the hell is going on, is there something more?

I came across your website and really resonated with “Stephanie's story”. She had bulimia/anorexia and some years later was diagnosed with BPD.

I am booked into see my GP today, however am quite scared, of admitting that I think I have BPD.

I am a single mum, with no support. (estranged from family, as they think I just dont get on with life) Also moved to another state.

I am more scared for my son. I hate to even say it, but I fear they will think I am an unfit mother and separate us.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I appreciate the support.

Allie

1 REPLY 1
supernova
Senior Contributor

Re: Scared

Hi @Allie,

Welcome to the Forums and thank you so much for your post.

It sounds like you’ve been dealing with so much for such a long time. I hear that you feel like talking to psychologists and counsellors hasn’t really gotten you very far in your recovery over the years, and that you’re feeling worried that maybe there’s something more going on. It sounds to me like you have a lot of insight into what’s going on for you and are really active in your attempts to try and get help. You must also have a lot of resilience and strength to be so active in your recovery while at the same time raising your son without any support!

It’s great that you’ve booked in to chat to your GP about your concerns, and it’s pretty normal to feel worried about talking about BPD. Unfortunately, it’s a term that still has a lot of stigma around it, despite the fact that there are many good evidence-based treatments out there! I’ve included some helpful links about BPD if you were interested in finding out some more information about BPD, treatments and services in general. The spectrum resource is specific to Victoria, but it still has a lot of helpful general information.

http://bpdfoundation.org.au/

http://www.spectrumbpd.com.au/media/Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Accessing%20Services%20for%20BPD%20in...

Many of our members have experience with BPD (@Billamba@Peonie5@LustStarrr, @Emily, @BlueBay, @Astrid, @tinnx, @jist0508) and hopefully have some helpful insights to share. Also if you pop “BPD” into the search bar on the Forums home page, you can also find several helpful threads about BPD that you might like to have a read through.

Thanks for your post and hope to ‘see’ you around soon!

All the best,

supernova.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance