Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

spacecadet
New Contributor

Psychotic depression

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a psychotic depressive episode. I have BD II and anxiety disorder, and the last time I was in emergency care I think an episode triggered psychosis. But I am only starting to piece this together now, and there is no way I am going back to my old psychiatrist. I am not sure how to discuss this if I went to see a new psychiatrist, or if I should just go back to my regular psychologist. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Psychotic depression

Hi @spacecadet,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in emergency care. This should never happen to anyone, but from what I've read, it seems these kind of negative experiences are not uncommon. 

If you are comfortable with your regular psychologist then I think it is a good idea to keep seeing him or her. Perhaps if you trust this psychologist, you could ask them for a referral to a new psychiatrist that they know and recommend. I doubt anyone would want you to see a psychiatrist that has caused you grief in the past - that would not be healthy.

You are absolutely entitled to the highest standard of care - please do not accept anything less for yourself. 

You don't have to discuss the negative episode that happened in care unless you feel comfortable doing so. If you prefer, you could just call your previous psychiatrist "a doctor" in conversations, rather than naming them. If you do name them, you are entitled to confidentiality.

I think that when I was very badly depressed that I had some psychotic symptoms. I did not realise it at the time, because I had no idea what psychosis even was!

Since I have recovered, I have been able to do some reading and put two and two together and I believe that I did have some psychosis. The thing with psychosis that people don't realise is that if the symptoms are mild you can hide them from others and pretend they are not really happening to you or that they aren't important. Strange but true!

I always thought that people who were completely nuts would have no idea that they were crazy. But this is a misconception. You can absolutely be going 'bonkers' and be aware of it and try to dismiss it from your mind.

I very strongly suggest that you tell your new psychiatrist all your symptoms so as they are best able to help you.

Warm regards to you, @spacecadet. I hope you are going to be Ok.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, that is very helpful, I don't really have anyone close to me to talk to about that will understand, but I will try and I think a new doctor will be the way to go. Thank you:)

hey @spacecadet just recovering from a Psychotic period just like @Sahara I didn't know what it was so hiding it for the last 20 or so years I have recurrent depression and anxiety with psychosis. Like you had a bad experience with a phychritist that i had been seeing for about 5 years he insulted me badly i felt very alone and on top of that my husband was not well recovering from Cancer operation thank God for my GP She put me in touch with a new Psychiatrist. I wish you all the best and i hope you recover real soon 

yep, had this. I'm BP1. Talk to someone they can help.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with chronic depression and PTSD. However, I also hear my grandfathers voices, which was come and gone from 13 years old (now 39). During periods of major depression, his voice is there, mostly positive. However, as the depression goes on, it can begin to turn negative. I'm on a mental health plan and have never been to the hospital, but believe that it could be my next step this time around

Hey @Mark2!,

Welcome to the SANE forums! It's great to have you here and thanks for telling the community a bit about what you're going through.

What you are experiencing sounds incredibly challenging and I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection. It is also really important that you get qualified help beyond a peer support service when things feel too difficult to cope with.

SANE Help Centre

1800 18 7263

Lifeline

13 11 14

Suicide Call Back Service

1300 659 467

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance