Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Blinda
Contributor

Phoning the Acute Care Team

I was wondering what people's experiences of dealing with Acute Care Teams have been like. I only ask because after much worry, I didn't see any other alternative but phoning tonight to get help for my sister. I believe her paranoia and other symptoms to be very severe and debilitating. However, after explaining the situation, I still got the impression that the Acute Team may or may not be able to help. Has this been the case for anyone that phoning for help has amounted to nothing?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Phoning the Acute Care Team

Hi @Blinda

This is a great question. I just wanted to flag a similar discussion here which might give you some insights, in particular @suzanne 's response.

Hopefully some others pop in over night and can offer some insights too.

Take care,

Nik

Yes yes yes. Extremely distressing.
Remember your rights as your sister's loved one..... Ask to speak to someone else.
As for the head manager and say ' I am my sister's closest relative and family and i have rights for you to take this phonecall seriously.
What I've written / not the best but you get my drift 👑🎉💥🎀🎂🌏🎸🏆🐟🐛🔥🐲🙈🐵🐼🐶

Thanks for the link and tips Smiley Happy. It's one of those things my whole family has put off in the hope that we will have a break through/miracle. But I actually feel relieved to have finally made the call. They will be coming out to make an assessment on the weekend so fingers crossed.

Glad that they have taken your situation seriously.  Hope you all get some respite soon.

I don't envy you
Can I give you some ideas of what you could say when this 'Assessment.' Team comes
1: why the wait ?
2: write a list of symptoms
3 Say:
As her family and the people who know her best. These are the concerns that we have.
It is State Law for you to pay attention to is as the people who know her the best.

As her full time carers who know her the best;
We think this ............... Will benefit her daily wellbeing

Sorry, but  myexperience with them was traumatising to say the least. 

Overall, you're made to feel like some pushy relative intruding in the sick persons' life.

They just won't really listen to you. It seems they want the mentally ill person to suddenly be able to have the clarity to see theselves, understand they have a problem, articulate it and follow up on any advice. If they were that together, I'd say they don't need you ACUTE MHT!

They speak as if they have boxes to tick.

Their list of choices is very few.

After I described threats of suicide, harm to me, belief that it was serious,a history of clearly serious, debilitating mental health issues,those dudes actually said to me, in a tone of 'whatever':

"Sounds like  you guys had a fight, an argument.Happens. Just let it cool down. If you feel in danger ,you call the police."

This is after I'd had to open myheart and in absolute agony tell them the depths of  mania of my own son. I thought I'd been talking to the people who might actually hear me. Nope.

Yes, had no choice but to call others.They sent people time and again. But in the end it lead to them giving him tranquilisers, telling himtosee their psychologist (never gonna happen with a person with sever Avoidant Personality Disorder in a bad state. When he didn't attend an appointment, they withdrew the medication and basically said: He needs to take responsibility. By the way,that medication is very expensive qnd you'll have to buy it yourself now.

It's just hard to believe that this is the best they can do. No doubt based on the latest theory of how pople with Mental Health issues have a right to be sick or something.

Thanks or nothing. What a waste of money. You want to see better early intervention/ listen to their family and carers. And treat us with respect.

Just to update- The Acute Care Team has been nothing but helpful and supportive in their methods towards my sister. They arranged a psychiatrist to home visit and then followed up with another home visit themselves. They have tried to reassure her that hospitalisation isn't their goal if they can find another way. Considering how uncooperative she has been, I trust that they will make the right decisions under the circumstances.

Given some of the comments on this forum, it's such a shame that all ACTs can't be as understanding and professional in such a stressful time. 

nda

Dear @Blinda 

Thank you so much for your message. 

Its so good to read  this. I was just refiling all the letters I got for my husbands last intervention and ........I cannot even read them anymore it was a very distressing time. And I was equipped with .....so many good things.

I must say Im glad that you wrote of your good experience, when we went through this terrible time, it was over 2 years ago and its good to read of how Acute call out has become.

This is some craft work I do.....

Anne 

IMG_0259.JPG

Re: nda

Such beautiful work with your hands @PeppiPatty.Heart

A lovely lady gave me a handknitted red poppy that looks a little like that .. today ... I showed her my poems and we did a swap.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance