Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lauza24
New Contributor

My aunty is worrying me.

I dont speak to my aunty as she's always caused trouble. I suspect she's has always had some type of mental illness. She uses drugs I think back in the day it was more hardcore stuff but these days mostly pill and weed. I couldn't say what exactly. She is in her late 50s. For months now I've heard through family she thinks she is being listen too by the police. We received a letter in the mail from her regarding this. I don't know what else. But last night she took a hr taxi ride to my nans at 3 in the morning. And has since been going through cupboards, chucking things out. Thinks her bottle of water was poisonous. She brought her dog with her and apparently she gives him half of a tablet a day (starts with 'v') . Idk. Noone seems to care that this isn't normal. She needs help idk what's going on. And the fact that we have mental illness in the family doesn't seem to trigger anyone. I mean she needs help! I won't be seeing her. I don't think it would be good for either of us. But any information I could pass onto the family to get her some help would be good. A start maybe.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: My aunty is worrying me.

Hi @Lauza24

Welcome to the forums - I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. It seems like you're a great niece and doing a great job or caring but also maintaining your own boundaries.

Sometimes if people are unwell for a long time, and not seeking help, sadly the people in their lives stop trying to help too. There's only so much you can do for someone who doesn't think anything is wrong. 

You haven't mentioned if this is the case for your aunt, but it might be the case.

I believe you have a right to be concerned for your aunts wellbeing.

The main suggestion that comes to mind is getting in contact with her local Crisis Assistance and Treatment Team. Here is a bit of info about them I took from the Vic government health website:

These services operate 24 hours a day and provide urgent community-based assessment and short-term treatment interventions to people in psychiatric crisis. CAT services have a key role in deciding the most appropriate treatment option and in screening all potential inpatient admissions. CAT services provide intensive community treatment and support, often in the person’s own home, during the acute phase of illness as an alternative to hospitalisation. CAT services also provide a service to designated hospital emergency departments through an onsite presence.

They have some more information on that site, about help you can access for your aunt. Calling the CAT team will mean you don't have to become overly involved yourself, you're just reporting what's going on.

Do any other memebrs have suggestions?

Re: My aunty is worrying me.

Some people can have lasting changes to their brain and persistant psychosis long after stopping heavy drug use.

At the risk of sounding flippant, your Aunties situation reminded me of a story i had once seen on a Dr Phil show of a woman with a similar situation.

Ive linked it below in case you/her/her family are interested in watching it as it may provide some insight.

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/2536/

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance