Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Louise
Community Elder

Here we go again

Hi all, it's been a while since I was here...as things have been going so well....alas, things have taken a turn for the worse.

My 18 yr old son had a psychotic episode nearly 2 yrs ago, recovered really well...and I allowed myself to hope it wouldn't happen again.

He came off his meds on the psychiatrists advice at Christmastime and has been doing brilliantly.He started at Uni this year and has been very happy, going to the gym, socializing, even doing a bit of part-time work.

I felt safe enough to take a 2 week holiday, leaving him at home on his own. I went interstate for 6 days, checked in at home for 2 nights, then headed off for another four days...

I have returned to find him unwell. He took drugs while I was away, failed to show for work and has basically stopped making sense. He seems incapable of completing even ordinary tasks. He realises there's something wrong and is agreeable to going to the doctor but wants to organise this himself. That's fair enough given that he's an adult...but he seems incapable of organising himself to the point of making an appointment and getting there. He initiates a course of action but can't stick to it for more than a minute. His possessions are all over the place and I'm thankful he can't find his carkeys.

I'm very disappointed and just hoping we can get him to the doctor. Hoping he won't end up back at hospital. Daring even to hope that this Uni semester won't be a complete write-off. Best case scenario= he gets better ASAP and realises that he simply can't afford to take drugs....even if that's what all his mates are doing....

Thanks for listening

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Here we go again

Hi
Hang in there its hard i know.
My son had hes psychotic episode years ago and still to this day will not amitt to it.
I manged to to talk him into going to a live in "camp" for men that want to change there lives after drugs.

That was years ago.

If your son is keen to make an effort maybe you should look into these and find the right one.

Participation is based on your son volunteering himself to a comittment.

My son went for 5 weeks and then checked him self out of a 12 month "stay"

When he made his own way home boy what a great positive difference in him.

Problem is that neither myself of my wife could keep up the work required to maintain the change.

It really needs to be a 6 or 12months committment.

Oh no @Louise feeling for you!

It must be such a fall after all that had been achieved and how quickly it can all materialize?!

It's a start that your son realises somethings wrong, this is an opening to him getting help. It maybe that he is fairly disorganised at the moment and needs your help to get back on his feet and assist with any further decline.

Perhaps allowing him a little space in this regard, then offering your observations about him possibly needing some support to do this, (as he hasn't been able to follow through with any plans), and that you are concerned about him.

Would you feel comfortable talking to the psychiatrist for advice, maybe a phone call may assist in managing the situation?

Headspace is an excellent youth mental health service who may also be able to support you and your son

https://www.headspace.org.au/  or 1800 650 890

best wishes

@Louise Sorry your boy had a relapse. Dont think it means that you never get to go away again. 20 is still young in this crazy world where the young men have too many distractions rather than good role models ... it is hard for them ... I had a similar situation when my son went psychotic when I was planning a week away about 3 years ago ...

Best outcome is that he realises the cost of his relapse and pulls himself together.

I think of you re helping son get orgainised to do the things they ought be doing for themselves.

I felt things improved by having a chemist and then later amedical centre set up within 5 mins walk from home .. so it means my son can organise his stuff without me or him driving ...

Maybe next time you are ready to experiment with time away .. go on weekends and get him to go on weekends .. that has helped build up my confidence that things will be ok when I am away.  Just got back from 2 nights in Torquay .. having more frequent smaller trips away ..

Glad to see YOU though

Apple

Thanks for your replies everyone, really nice to know this supportive community is still here. A bit daunting adjusting to the reappearance of mental illness...and the possibility of it being chronic and long-term. Also, having to deal with the Adult mental health services this time around. He had a good relationship with his previous psychiatrist but now that he is an adult that psychiatrist is not available....and I don't know if he will agree to seeing another one or going back on meds. We have a good relationship and he can be surprisingly compliant. ...but still....it's a challenge for me to remain kind and reasonable in order to have a positive influence on him. Good intentions can evaporate in minutes. I can lose my temper and I HATE that. It risks everything and leaves me so shaken....
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance