Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

suzanne
Senior Contributor

Cartoon dealing with suicide

I recently came across this cartoon drawn by the (now grown up) sister of a young boy who suicided.  It encourages people to ask about suicide and to seek help where it's a possibility.  Its really well done.  A very engaging way to address a tough topic.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cartoon dealing with suicide

@suzanne as someone who has given it a go, have friends who also have tried and have someone close to me complete (such an euphemism) that was hard to get through. 

Sorry @mrkotter if the cartoon hit a very sore spot.  There are always pros and cons to posting things like this.  The reason I did is that it ultimately presents a hopeful message that is trying to reduce the isolation of people in extreme distress.  But it can be read in lots of different ways. 

How're you doing today?  I hope you were able to shake it off and recapture some of that great mood you were in the other night in your winning thread 🙂

@suzanne wrote:

Sorry @mrkotter if the cartoon hit a very sore spot.  There are always pros and cons to posting things like this.  The reason I did is that it ultimately presents a hopeful message that is trying to reduce the isolation of people in extreme distress. 

No, no @suzanne you've got nothing to be sorry about. For me it was hard because it home oh so very much. It reminded how much it hurts because people do care. Thanks for posting - and that's not meant to be sarcastic.

Yeah doing well, just feel like I'm in the trenches at the moment. As mentioned, getting better has meant I've had to consider a lot of different parts of my life - and I've found that a little bit difficult at times. I'm positive about it. I guess you could call it an adjustment process or something. Been able to fix up a friendship today as well. 

All good. How are you going?

I'm good thanks @mrkotter.  Life is trundeling along 🙂

That's a really interesting point about recovery.  Lots of upsides but more challenges too.  Things come back into the frame that you hadn't had to worry about when you were deeply unwell. 

Adjustment is a good way to look at it.  You're increasing your capacity again.  I hope you're taking it slowly. 

Fixing a friendship is a huge win.  I believe there's a thread around here somewhere for wins 🙂 

@suzanne wrote:

Adjustment is a good way to look at it.  You're increasing your capacity again.  I hope you're taking it slowly. 

Hahaha taking it slow! Nope, I've dived right in. Picked up more responsibility at work and loving it and trying to dive into Sydney. In a way I don't want to waste time any more. Although, like you, my therapist has suggested that I might like to take it slow. I have decided to walk away from volunteer work in MH - talking about my experiences to random strangers is just not for me at the moment, my future is.

Hi @suzanne and @mrkotter...

I loved this cartoon, It is such a tricky subject and Meryl Barends being a survivor-sibling has her own unique insight and obviously has battled and researchd the 'WHY". I too am a survivor of suicide attempts, and sucicide is pretty constant thought matter for me. As living with the various coktail of mental health issues - I have overly active 'Die Now" thinking tropes.

I will share this on social media and ask friends to read it - because there is some really important bits of info.

Talking about suicide is incredibly important and I think we need to steel ourselves and maybe find ways to not **trigger** and shut down conversations about it in the wider community and here too.

Keeping ourselves safe is important, being responsibile citizens who help keep others safe too is something we can do to help in our community both MI and broader communitties.

Powerful cartoon. Thanks @suzanne

The spikes/horns evoke how hard the body feels stretched when we survive a sibling who has taken their life.  Well it did for me.  Yes a Beastly burden ... yet unlike Merel .. I jumped through hoops trying to stop it from happening .. but wasnt listened to .. maybe that is why I feel strong about sharing now ... its a huge issue .. but there are changes that are hopeful.

Slight digression ... Last night at a fundraiser dinner dance, I heard about the Eltham High School principal who suicided in 2014.  We need structures in place otherwise we lose our best people. Pressure of today's society is massive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance