Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

cbr88
New Contributor

Seeking good GP and psychologist in ACT to help with partner's BP

Hi there,

I have just moved with my partner back to the ACT after living in England for a year. He is British and was diagnosed with bipolar at 20 (he's 26 now). I personally have experienced depression and anxiety and have found a great psychologist for that, but I also have a steady job while he is on a working holiday visa and is not earning very much (I am mostly supporting him). This is his first time living in another country and he is having difficulties adjusting. The jetlag also seems to have thrown him quite a lot and has triggered a prolonged depressive episode.

Does anyone have recommendations for good understanding GPs and psychologists in Canberra that are not too expensive? My idea would be for him to get a mental health plan and go from there.

I am also interested in carer support group meet-ups because at the moment it is quite draining to be around him. The depressive phase has caused him to be silent most of the time with a blank look on his face and I hardly recognise him as the great man I met a year ago. I knew this would be hard when I got into it but it would be nice to feel less isolated. We are both very committed to this relationship.

Thanks for your advice/support,

Seeking Help in ACT.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Seeking good GP and psychologist in ACT to help with partner's BP

Hi and welcome

good on you for reaching out for help...

unfortunately forum moderators and members can not recommend by name a GP or psychologist, this is covered in the forum guidelines, however you are on the right track in attending a GP to get a mental health care plan. Smiley Happy

You might like to look at the Australian psychological society web site which allows you to search for a psychologist by area and speciality, here

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/

I found Bi polar Australia offers support groups in the ACT, as does the Black Dog Institute, here

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/gettinghelp/othersupportgroups.cfm

I also thought you might like to look at what other have been saying about caring for a partner with bi polar, here

http://www.saneforums.org/t5/Our-stories/Need-more-support-for-spouses-who-live-with-bipolar-partner...

best wishes for the next chapter together in Australia

Re: Seeking good GP and psychologist in ACT to help with partner's BP

Hi @cbr88

Just to add to @-karma- another resource where you might find some localised support is through Carers ACT who also run Carers Voices

Carers ACT are great - they are likely to be able to tell you about local support groups etc.

How are you doing anyways - this must be tough for you?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance