Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shaz51
Community Guide

Psychiatrist appointment

Hello everyone ,

We have a Psychiatrist appointment next week and I would like to know ; what Questions do you ask ??? so we can get the most out of the appointment

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Psychiatrist appointment

Hi Shaz51.

A first psychiatric appointment can be a bit daunting - and you definately want to feel heard and that you have had at least some of your questions answered.  What your questions are will depend on so may different variables, so rather than offer up an unexaustive list, I have found the following websites with some useful information.  Some are written for carers but provide the same sentiment.  I hope it gives you some ideas.

http://www.sabp.nhs.uk/advice/FAQs-and-diagnoses/questionstoaskthepsychiatrist

http://www.bcss.org/resources/topics-by-audience/family-friends/2005/06/questions-to-ask-the-psychia...

http://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-illness-overview/questions-for-your-psychiatrist-docto...

Goodluck, and all the best. Snoopy.

Hello @snoopy,

Thank you , i have saved the links and have printed some out

Our first  psychiatric appointment was is september, and it was a bit daunting , next week will be an update on how everyting is going ??

so we were not sure of what to say or respond ??

Hi Shaz51

Snoopy has given you some great links....thanks Snoopy!

Since your appointment is a follow-up session from September you may want to make a list of what has happened since then and what you want to know from the psychiatrist. this could help with keeping a focus and ensuring you get the answers you want.

All the  best

Lola

Thankyou @lola, @snoopy,

I will and se how we go on tuesday

Hello @lola, @snoopy. @NikNik, @CherryBomb,

We had a new Psychiatri​st at our meeting yesterday , he wants my Husband to cut back on one of the medication . my husband did this once before and could feel himself getting unwell again he kept cutting back until I said he needs to get back on the medication

Hi everyone , just an update -- day three of cutting back , did one job today and my husband is now sleeping , next week the new Psychiatrist wants him to stop taking one of the medication

I hope the reducation goes okay @Shaz51

The best you can do is be honest with the psychiatrist if it's not going well.

All the best.

hello @NikNik,

our psychologist rang up this morning to see how he is going , got a appointment with the psychologist tomorrow , he has felt a few anxious moments

Hello @NikNik, @lola, @snoopy,

giving you an update with our psychiatric appointment, our psychologist was  there too, and she was laughing because we had written down lots of questions together to ask the doctor .

we have had a couple more meetings with our psychologist who is saying that now -- that you only go on medication for a short term , go off them and then if it happens down the road again , you go on the medication again and do the cycle again .

But we are questioning that because , if you go off the medication and then you start getting unwell again and end up back in hospital and you have to start the medication again , it takes time to get it the system .

wou;dn`t it be better to stay on the medication that you have finally found that is helping you , my husband has had it hard for the last 50 years with depression and anxiety .he is thinking of just taking the medication without the therpy as they are trying to retrain his mind , but at 56 he doesn`t want to do any new learning

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance