Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Feelingalone
New Contributor

My daughter has an eating disorder

My daughter was sexually assaulted and is now developing an eating disorder. Professionals are involved. But I would really like to talk to parents who have been through this. None of my friends know what to say....
4 REPLIES 4

Re: My daughter has an eating disorder

Hi there Feelingalone,

Thank you for joining the forums. I am sure you will find support from other members who can share their experiences. I would encourage you to get as much support as you need for yourself and your daughter. There are support services for victims and carers of people who have been sexually assaulted. Have a look online for guidance and also speak with the services that are assisting your daughter.

Take care of yourself and all the best.

Durango. 

Hi @Feelingalone,

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter, and I could only imagine how hard this would be on you and your whole family who love and want to support her. 

It is really good to hear that professionals are involved because these are complex issues and you all need support. I am not sure if you know but there is a telephone line for individuals who have experienced sexual assualt and their friends and family - its 1800 RESPECT  (1800 737 732) a 24 hour number (not for emergencies) if you ever need to talk to a counsellor

I am not sure if there are others on here who share your exact experiences but I know that @Tight-Control has experienced something similar, and @Louise shared their experiences here

also @EDV posted here about support groups for friends and family of those with eating disorders in vic. @Ruth is supporting her teen with a mental illness as is @Madat

My thoughts are with you

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your daughter .  A very tough time for everyone involved but its great to hear that she is getting professional help.  It is so hard as a parent to watch your child going through something like this so support for you is just as important as it is for her.  Please feel free to call our helpline on 1300550236 if you would like to have a chat with one of our volunteers and also check out our website as there is a lot of information there for carers that may be of help. www.eatingdisorders.org.au.

We also run support groups for family and friends so if you would like more information on those this is the link you need. http://www.eatingdisorders.org.au/find-a-support-group.  We have a combined group for those with an ED and also carers on Wed 18th November at 7pm here at EDV. Our address is Colllingwood Football Club Community Centre, Level 2, Cnr Lulie and Abott st, Abbotsford.  There is also one on Monday the 23rd in Camberwell and Wed 25th in Sandringham.  More details can be found on the website.

Best of luck with everything and take care.

Michelle

Eating disorders are a common reponse / maladaptive coping strategy to trauma.  It is important to work with both the trauma and the eating disorder together.  Most people dont know what to say and will say the wrong thing that may cause the person further harm.  It is important to target the eating disorder early or it can develop into a life threatening illness, and make it impossible to work on the trauma.

Just be there for your daughter and take it gently. Eating disorders can cause a lot of family tension, making life quite diifcult.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance