Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BILkeeper
New Contributor

Looking for advice

Hi

I'm hoping someone can offer advice.

My brother in law who has a history of schizophrenia went missing on Monday. He walked out of his house he shares with his mother with nothing but a shirt, skirt, cap and shoes. Police found him on Wednesday morning non-responsive and admitting to hearing voices.

They took him to St. Vincent's and we were told he was going to be admitted. 7 hours later we were told they had discharged him. It is a long story but we have now been told police won't register him as a missing person as the psych team at the hospital decided he wasn't a risk despite his intital assessor telling us he needed admission.

We are at a loss as to what we can do. His history has included periods of being catatonic and a previous case of going missing where he ended up being physically hurt whilst living on the streets.

We are all based in Sydney.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Looking for advice

Hi @BILkeeper

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. 

Just to clarify - is he missing again now since being discharged? You mentioned that the police won't register him as a missing person, so I wasn't sure if that meant he has gone missing again.

Also - just to let you know that we don't usually allow disclosure of specific hospitals etc due to privacy, defamation and the anonymous nature of these Forums. I completely understand that this wasn't intentional, so I just wanted to give you a heads up. You can read more about it in the Community Guidelines.

Here are some FAQs about Missing Persons, which you may not give you the exact answers, but might give you some idea of your rights. For example, there's a question there that says 'Can people go missing more than once' and the response says:

Approximately one third of missing persons go missing more than once. Each time a person goes missing, it is treated as an individual report.

So the reason that the police won't classify him as a missing person doesn't seem appropriate. 

Again, I'm sorry you're going through this frustrating ordeal. 

Hi @NikNik

Apologies can I edit that out somehow?

He left Sydney and was registered as a missing person. He was located in Melbourne and taken to the hospital but was discharged. We contacted Melbourne police today but they said they can't do anything. I have spoken to one of the hospital team and they have said they have flagged his record if he returns and will contact us.

My husband, mother in law and his son and our kids are just at a loss and we don't know what to do or what we can do. He hasn't been well for a while but decided to stop his medication and then left. The hospital couldn't even tell me if he had eaten which he hadn't done for 5 days prior to leaving.

Being in a different state is making it harder.

Hi @BILkeeper. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get the hospital to liaise with the police under the Mental Health act. If the hospital could do this it would take enormous pressure off you. When he went to hospital, was he admitted as a voluntary patient, or was he 'sectioned?' If he was sectioned, it becomes the responsibility of the hospital to insure he is unable to 'escape'. If he went in as a voluntary patient, I don't think there's a lot the hospital can do. Also being schizophrenic, a patient who is not known to the hospital often manages to convince staff he is 'alright' and they will release him as there's no legitimate reason to hold him. Does he have a regular Dr? Perhaps you could contact the Dr and ask him/her to contact the police. If he is schizophrenic, who diagnosed him? Once the police are aware of his mental state, they would be more inclined to look for him. If they're not convinced of his mental state, they will not do anything. I'm surprised at the hospital disregard for his mental health.

Wow, I really feel for you and your family!!! I have been through this many times with my partner and it just infuriates me how powerless we as carer's feel in these situations!!!

My son just walked out of rehab within weeks of being discharged. Feel sick at the thought all he has been through over the past year is lost and he is back where he started. He is dual diagnosis drugs and schizophrenia. He has been listed as a missing person. He answered his phone once and said he was going to get a job as taxi driver just needs to get his licence!! He runs the risk of loosing his accomodation and not sure what happens with his disability pension. But It is the absolute worst feeling looking at ones son stuff his life up so badly.
I just found this web site as needing to dump thoughts and your blog was the first on the list...this must happen to so many families- heartbreaking

Hi @MEB. I'm slightly confused. You say your son walked out of rehab within weeks of being discharged. If he was discharged, he would have had to leave. The police have been notified, are they aware he is ill? If they know he is, they will 'step up' their inquiries. If his illness is not known to them they will simply treat him as a 'missing person'. Does he have to contact C'link regularly to insure his pension payments keep coming? I presume he also has a Dr for his medications. If the police are aware of everything, they will start door-knocking. His i.d will be posted everywhere including fb. To get a taxi license, not sure what state you are, but the applicant has to have a good knowledge of city/suburbs and also a great P.R attitude. Your son's illness means, unfortunately, the company who hires him (if he gets that lucky) will soon 'pick-up' that he has some sort of problem. They possibly may also realize if they check 'wanted' posters and report to the police. If you have reported everything to the police, all you can do is wait. He may himself simply decide to come home. Often people diagnosed with schizophrenia wander home of their own accord.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance