Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

GwenSings
New Contributor

Introduction

I am a Mother of two adult daughters with Mental Differences. One was finally diagnosed with BPD when she was 18 years old, she is now 33. The other is still undergoing therapy to determine a diagnosis, she is being treated with anti depressants, epilepsy and anti psychosis medication. She is the mother of my three grandchildren (6, 4 and 2). I also care for my husband who is physically disabled and has been on medication for PTSD for the last 15 years. We all live together and I am the primary carer for everyone. I'm getting older and I'm getting so tired and not always coping myself. I jokingly told a psychologist the other day that we have our own mental health hospital! 🙂 you gotta laugh, or you cry. Xoxo
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Introduction

Sorry that should be Bi Polar not Borderline Personality Disorder.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello GwenSings,

Welcome to the forums! I hope you find it a supportive and helpful place to get support and care.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Caring for so many people at once can put a toll on you, so being tired and feeling like you’re not coping is understandable. We have to make sure we take care of ourselves, as hard as that can be sometimes.

I thought this thread may be useful, as these women are also caring for their partners and families. @zipper, @cheersquad, @Shaz51 all have good insight of the importance of self care and supporting loved ones.

I also thought this thread might be useful as it has a lot of discussion around receiving emotional support for those who are carers.

Do you have a good support system; being family, friends or professional support?

I hope this is helpful and you gain something from being a part of this lovely community  Smiley Happy

Jac-in-the-box

hello @GwenSings, @Former-Member

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you find it a supportive and helpful place to get support and care.

I have found the SANE forum very helpful

How are you today @GwenSings, you have lots on your plate

I am @Shaz51 and my husband has MI and now the doctors think he might have Bipolar , I also have 4 adult step children

If you have any questions please ask

take care HeartHeart

A big welcome @GwenSings !

You do have a lot on your plate. I think sometimes we do have to laugh or we'll cry. I know @Jo is big on using black humour to manage some of the tough times.

What brings you to the forums @GwenSings - are you looking for anything in particular, or just looking to connect with others?

Jo
Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree Gwen Sings. You have to laugh or you cry. One good therapeutic thing to do is to get together with other carers to share a form of 'black humour'. You soon find everyone trying to outdo everyone else with their terrible (terribly funny) stories. And the more you become involved the more emboldened you are to share. You could never EVER share this stuff with anyone who isn't a carer. It would sound terrible. But with other carers you're safe to express yourself without fear of judgement. It's healthy to laugh. And renowned of course, for being an excellent medicine.

I agre @Jo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance