Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

mania without depression...bi polar?

I've experienced mania without a depressive episode and I'm not sure if bi polar is the correct label. Does anyone know?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: mania without depression...bi polar?

Some people with bipolar experience only mania. However it is probable that a depressive phase will occur at some time. It is less common to experience only the manic episodes but it is recognised as a form of bipolar 1.

I  have bi polar disorder & the last manic episode put me in the Redlands hospital for 2 months ( involuntary admission).That was in August 2012.

Prior to that  I  did time @ New Farm Clinic in 2005 & 2009 .

I did experience the dark times of depression but it was the manic times that caused the admissions.

Through a lot of trial & error on the drug side I believe I have finally got the BP under control& am feeling my mind is in the best condition evidenced in 20 years.

There is a lot of knowledge on the internet but I still visit my shrink once a month to make sure everything is TICKEDY BOO 

Hi @janedoe2, @Kurra is right that it could be bi-polar but it's unusual for there to be no depressive episode.  You'll need a thorough assessment in order to differentiate bipolar from other disorders.  Have you had the opportunity for that yet?

Bi polar was the conclusion when I was in hospital. I haven't had a chance to ask an opinion from a private psychiatrist yet.

What are the other possible disorders? I have limited knowledge about mania and bi polar in general .

A second assessment would be wise @janedoe2.  Tracing the cause of the mania will help the Psychologist or Psychiatrist differentiate conditions.  Either way, a diagnosis is really just about guiding treatment rather than defining you in anyway.

Have you been given any guidance in how to go about getting the second opinion?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance