Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Alienated
Casual Contributor

Trying to understand why CPS have different rules for different people

Right now I am trying to understand why child protection think that the perpetrator of domestic violence is a more suitable parent over the victim.

Yes I'm a victim of domestic violence
Yes I have children
Yes they are currently under a care and protection order
Yes I have done parenting classes
Yes I have spoken to professionals
Yes I have mental illnesses
Yes I have have done anger management
Yes I left the guy who bashed me (youngest child's father)
Yes I have come along way

But child protection don't recognise any of this. They let my ex have our child unsupervised. But yet he hasn't done anything to help himself.
I have been requesting unsupervised visits for the last 6 months but yet they refuse to give them too me. No reasons why they won't.
How can they say he is ok to have unsupervised time but yet me the victim is not allowed to. I have done everything I can think of to help myself and my children but yet I'm getting no where.
I'm reaching my breaking point and I don't know what to do
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Trying to understand why CPS have different rules for different people

Hello @Alienated

It is terrible to be separated from our kids and to have experienced DV.

How many children do you have and how old are they?  Have you been able to get help at a refuge?

I have had a few bad experiences with DHS as child and mother and seen other young mums suffer.  Each situation is different and taking kids away from troubled situations is not always the best thing. 

Eg Though I experienced a lot of neglect, I also am forever glad that I returned to my parents and got a better idea of who they were as people.

Hey @Appleblossom

I have 2 children aged 5 & 3 (nearly 4)
I don't need a shelter as I am in a rental property.
CPS isn't there to protect children. If they were they wouldn't allow my 3 year old to live where a pedophile goes. They wouldn't put my child at risk by letting the father have unsupervised time.
I left my youngest child's dad when he was 8 months old. After cps told me that if I didn't leave I would lose the kids. Everything was going fine they weren't involved anymore and then most recent ex went to jail for crimes he committed before he and I got together and a house burg while we were together. Then cps came back into my life. My children have been out of my care for 18 months. I left the guy I was seeing while he was in jail and haven't had contact with him since he got out earlier this year. Yet cps can't see all the good things that I have done since losing my kids

Hello @Alienated

Welcome to the forums.

Being separated from your children must be incredibly difficult. Do have support at the moment? Both in terms of counselling or mental health support managing the impact this is having on you; and legal or advocacy support to help you exercise your rights?

Even though it feels as though Child Protection Services aren’t acting in the best interests of your children, it’s important that you let them know of any concerns you have, especially if you think your children are at risk of abuse. You can report suspected abuse or neglect using the state contacts provided here.

Hey @Acacia
I have done it all and have a lot of support. I was informed today that I'm due in court tomorrow for my children as the current order is up on Wednesday. The Case worker told me that she would be serving the paper work on me at 4:30 this afternoon. Then at 5 I received a phone call from another worker at cps asking if the paper work had been served which it hasn't been. I was then informed that the court called cps as they found a mistake in the paper work and it can't be served. Now I don't know weather I'm still meant to go to court tomorrow or not. And have also been told that if cps don't have me in court by Wednesday night their order has then lapsed and if that happens I can legally go and get my children. I'm not sure if that's true or not though. It would be great if it happens like that because I know where both of my children are.

Sorry it has been so long til I replied @Alienated

I have had my own crisis and only just read your post.

I hope you have seen you children now.

I cant answer for CPS ... I am pretty disgusted with the way they used me in 1986 ... they certainly didnt care about my biological children. I also knew they were worried for their career reputations as Supreme Court proceedings had begun by other parties .. and they dropped us like a hot potato.

Take care of you and enjoy what ever contact you can gain with your beloved children.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance