Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

The Elderly and those brain tablets! Discuss.

Hi,

I believe in talking about Mental Health. Even before I was diagnosed, I was so lucky to work for a big organisation that worked with the homeless.I worked as a Personal carer with 20 Aged care men in a Hostel. Most of these men fought for many countries during World War 2., helped build this country. Many had big careers like Judge, Detective, Millitary positions.There was a Halocaust survivor, who still brings a tear to my eyes. Many had come from an era who didn't know what a MI was.So many were affected by war and famine. Jobs were hard to come by and had families to support.Many suffered later on as we know now with PTSD. All nearly turned to alcohol.Many had MI including Schitzophrenia, Bi Polar, PTSD, Depression, OCD, Kleptomania,Anxiety/panic attacks.Many more.There was cancer patients and a cheeky chappy with Parkinson's. I will always remember he was my first shower and I had to shave him as well.I was 17 and absolutely scared as!. I told  him this was my first shave. He looked straight into my eyes. With a shaky voice he said' I think you will do better than me'.And with that, he took the shaver and it shook violently in his hand. I have never laughed so much.! Although they had lost so much in life, and society had shunned them, they could always make me laugh.Best job in the world.

These men blamed no-one. They lost jobs, houses and family. Alcohol was the man's tonic.I always wished they got the help that we can get today. But the elderly today still have trouble getting that help.Generation, poor communication and little support.

Working in pharmacy a while ago,  proved that the older generation have not got a clue as to what they have been prescribed.They are a generation that learn to memorise a colour, a time that goes with that tablet.And what its for, but brief. That tablet is blood pressure, heart, cholesterol,head. Head, yeah Dr said its for my brain.They ask, a headache?, brain tumour? Most Dr's say for feeling down/blue.But.. They think only to take the tablet when they are feeling out of sorts.Medication packs are brought back with 2 out of 7 taken.We ask'why not the rest? They say "well I was feeling fine, thankyou very much young lady'!

It broke my heart to see many family members that had so much trouble getting them to take the brain tablet. Many family members also struggled seeing their parent taking a tablet for MI. Does my dad really need that tablet, having never suffered  from depression?. It's  a common question.I understand, a parent is usually seen as a strong figure,a father that has never cried or complained or a mum who raised a family and got on with things.

My questions are- Have you struggled giving MI medication to a elderly love one?, Have Dr's been supportive and given education?  Is it hard to see a elderly parent be diagnosed with a MI? Have you yourself felt that a MI diagnosis weren't neccesary?, Does culture play a big part when diagnosing a loved one? Does the medication make a difference?.

I do not work in Pharmacy anymore, this is not for research, I have just always wanted to know.

Thankyou for reading. Cheers. Ms78

3 REPLIES 3

Re: The Elderly and those brain tablets! Discuss.

Hi @Former-Member
You have raised s9me interesting issues and ones that do not necessarily belong only to the elderly. As I'm at work I'm not able to write a comprehensive reply. I'll get back to you later this evening.

There are many such people in the world who has no one to take care of them, Thus they seek for love from nursing as well as from caregivers. I remember after death of my grandfather, my granny started feeling lonely and was also suffering from dementia memory loss. Thus, due to busy daily schedule family members are not able to look after her and her needs. When I discuss this problem with one of my uncle they suggested to take help from Elder care lawyers who will diagnose granny and keep her out from the grief.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance