Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Self Harm ~ No More

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Self Harm ~ No More

Hi @Former-Member

You're obviously feeling very hurt by what happened previously.
Please keep on posting because in my opinion you have a great deal to offer those who self harm.
Have a great day.

Hi @Former-Member,

I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience last time you were on the Forums. We’re glad you’re back. It sounds like really you have a lot to share, so we hope you find it a supportive and friendly place this time round. Please keep posting and tell us more about your story.

Take care,
supernova.

Dear Concreterainbow,

I don't think that anyone is against your ideas here, in fact I think that everyone values your ideas. Writing on websites like this one can be tricky because we must remember that there are others that write here that have similar problems to ours. How we word something may be misread or may have a bit of an impact on others. THe moderators here, I feel, from what I can see, do not reject your writings they simply ask you to write it in a different way because they may feel that some of the content may be inappropriate for many reasons. NO need to get upset, your ideas are still valued. Just change it a bit till it is suitable. From what I can see they are extremely tollerant here much more so than many websites.

Please stay with us, what has happened to you could happen to me. I would then just try to change what I wrote. The moderators here are educated and know a lot about mental disorders. Self harm is a very delicate topic and it is very difficult to write about. But we do need to hear from people like you. Why not work with the moderators and communicate with them to really get the best results. I feel that people are here to help you and we all try to support each other.

I respect the moderators and I feel it is important to respect them, this is a website and they have been put there for a good reason. We need to work with them especially because they are so tolerant and this is such a good site.

I hope that you will share more I would like to learn a bit from your experiences I am very interested.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Former-Member I am not sure if we have met before.  You joined a couple months before me.  I dont recall if I read the posts you are talking about, but I do remember thinking that the mods were generally not handling the self-harm issue well.  Not through lack of care but through lack of experience.  I tried to raise the issues in ways to get discussion going.  It was difficult and yes I was moderated but I think the issue is greater than my personal experience so perservered. Since then there have been a range of more candid but hopefully not discussions that condone or triiger further self harm.  I am glad you are back, as unfortunately there are a lot of people suffering and something needs to be done.  Having been there and stopped is huge.

I dont think @theaveragejoe was on the site when you posted last time.  He is a newbie,  (only a month) he posts supportively and is well intentioned. 

Even though we have sonquered self harm and try and put it behind us, there is still a rawness, and it is easy to get defensive.   Sometimes I bumble along or put my foot in it.  We all do. Please stay

Former-Member
Not applicable

I used to self harm, @Former-Member,

because the pain I was feeling inside was not visible so I felt, at a young age, that having scars and hurting myself was, amongst other reasons, a way to show people the pain. I was givin life to the pain I had inside. The self mutilation, compared to the pain inside was nothing.

But there were many deep and psychological reasons for self mutilations that many people do not understand. There is also self hatered and hate for the world that comes into play. Fortunately I don't have a lot of scars, most have gone. The visible scars that I have are on my arm when I put of a few cigarettes on my arms. I developed large blisters and scars are still visible today though just.

I was able to stop myself before I went too far. I was fortunate to meet a good psychiatrist that helped me to stop. I have also been homeless and tried many street drugs.

Out of these terrible experiences I have learned a lot.

No problem ConcreteRainbow, if you feel that I am in the way in your discussion I will respect your wish. Thank you for being honest.

Thank you @Appleblossom,

it is kind of you to see my true intentions. Of course I care for all of you. I am trying to share my knowledge, the knowledge of a person that has seen a lot of sadness in my life, being homeless, on streetdrugs, and having grown into a very resilient and strong human being. I try to share my experiences with those who want to listen.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance