Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

PTSD. ADD. CHRONIC FATIGUE. Etcetera. Anyone else looking for understanding? 😁

19 REPLIES 19

Re: PTSD. ADD. CHRONIC FATIGUE. Etcetera. Anyone else looking for understanding? 😁

Always looking for understanding and to know that I'm not 'the only one' to be the way I am.
How are you @Former-Member ?

Re: PTSD. ADD. CHRONIC FATIGUE. Etcetera. Anyone else looking for understanding? 😁

I have ADD and PTSD...

Without My ADD meds, I look like someone with Chronic Fatigue since those meds are often precribed to treat Chronic Fatigue too...

PTSD sucks, I get flashbacks and end up talking to myself.  They can really wear you down and try to convince you that your no good and a victim.  Was wondering if I should ask my doctor to try Marijuana, which is legal for medicinal purposes here, for the treatment of a variety of issues including PTSD.  I used to smoke alot when I was in Highschool, and it always seemed to calm me down and cheer me up...I used to smoke alot though..I'd wake up and be stoned (wake and bake) at like 8-9 Am...then smoke again when I got out of school or work and stay high smoking throughout the night...I'd combine it with beer and cigarettes....Both of which I have quit.

People with ADD have much going against them, including substance abuse, which is seen to have much more prevalence in ADD populations than regular populations.  I went to a government website, to check out the facts and downfalls of ADD and its some pretty serious stuff. Higher morbidity rates, Higher Incarceration Rates, Higher poverty rates, Higher addiction rates, Higher Isolation rates and poor interpersonal relationships,  etc.  than the regular population.  But with medication it can be somewhat allieviated, but the first line of medication is often addictive narcotic stimulants.  So, you can somewhat be cured, but you'll be dependent and addicted to the medication...

Life isn't easy for someone with ADD.  Nor is it easy for PTSD. Nor Chronic Fatigue.

But there is medication out there that can help.  It's just a matter of trial and error to see what works for you.

Best of luck 🙂

Hello, lisajane. 😊
Feeling empty and want to cry but can't. Fed up with being like this. I do look back and can see that I have improved, but always want to be better. HATE wasting life. How are you?

yes... i've been told i'm too much of a perfectionist.. nothing feels good enough! I can always have done or do better! sigh!

i'm just sort of ok at the moment, very anxious but coping! I don't cry very often, and wish sometimes that i could! so i think i get that feeling. I have ptsd also and don't sleep well at all, so i can understand the fatigue to some extent. plus have a lil boy who wakes twice a night anyway so even if i do get to sleep i usually get woken up again!!! doh! 

how are you doing witht he ptsd? if you dont mind me asking

How are you finding the forums so far? 

Just joined tonight, so I'll see how it goes.
PTSD comes and goes. Such a long story starting from being rapedas a teenager. Kept quiet until in my 30's. By then I'd lost myself by being a people pleaser. Lots of abuse, alcohol and medication to numb myself. No alcohol for years. Lots of things trigger the anxiety, including my family. We were very close. Now I can't see them until I feel stronger. Getting through the grief of that.

you've been through a lot. 😞 sounds as though you know yourself pretty well now. I have difficulty with always doing the people pleasing stuff... never being able to say no which lead to all sorts of difficulties in my marriage which was abusive. in my 30s now and finally getting some help i guess. lots of crap had to go wrong to get me moving and getting real help though i suppose... but feeling determined lately to get to a place where i can decide on my own future.

Well done on the no alcohol, thats a huge thing to do. I also don't see any of my family, and don't expect to or want to reconcile that as it would just be harder than i could handle and would probably drive me back to being the people pleasing, rescuer that i was for them... even while they didnt treat me well or look after me in anyway... but i grieve for the family that i never had.. and the longing to not be 'alone'

I'm glad you're here, i hope you find that there are many people who can relate 

lj

Same here, oh my gosh! I spent my whole life trying to do things for my family. Finally learnt to say, no more. They're not used to the new me. Mum's ok, but I hate the cover up of certain things. Eg. Rape etc. Long story.
For years I ignored my feelings and covered up the hurtful things (abuse etc). And helped my family. Can't do that anymore. Finally i woke up and realized that I do matter.and that what i have been through was extremely traumatic, pretending doesn't help. I hope I'm through the worst of the grieving.

I had to stop the alcohol, mainly for my daughter. It was too upsetting for her, plus doctor kept saying "you're going to die if you don't stop." Thank goodness for my daughter, because I wouldn't have cared if I died. She means alot to me, which makes me determined to get well.

yes... there just comes a point i suppose. For me it was having my own children... realising that i would never do to them what my family had done to me... but of course was already in a similar cycle of relationship that was hurting them 😞 life is just hard i guess. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance