Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tyler77
Senior Contributor

Mental Illness and Chemical Addiction...

Some people with Mental Illness also have substance use and abuse problems as well.  They often use, to try to limit or better cope with the symptoms of their illness.  I know, from first hand expierence, how hard it can be to give up substances which i refer to as "cutches" that help us make it through the day. These substances are not always illicit.  They are often prescription medications or things like alcohol, nicotine and caffeine...

What are your expierences with Chemcial Addiction and Mental Illness?

40 REPLIES 40

Re: Mental Illness and Chemical Addiction...

Hi @Tyler77,

I'm bipolar and had a full on addiction to weed until five to six weeks ago. Been trying to kick the habit since about October last year and finally have got myself off it. About 10 years ago I was heavy on the alcohol intake too but managed to break that habit completely for six months and since then have been able to reintroduce it just a little so that I only drink in moderation one night a week now. The weed habit was totally out of control though. I gave it up once before, about 6 or 7 years ago but just one J after five months abstinence and I was back into it with a vengeance again.I know it's still early days in being free of it this time round but it's my strong intention not to touch it again because of how psychologically addicted I get to it and the dark side of that for me. Would be interested to hear more of what you are struggling with, or just be around if you want someone to support you through what you are trying to do. Sending best wishes.

By the way, I'm still addicted to nicotine (down to about 7 a day at the moment). Also drink a lot of coffee. So lots of room for improvement here still. 

Hi @Mazarita...

Good to here that you have 5-6 weeks clean.  That may not seem like much but it is a huge accomplishment, in my opinion.  

I used to smoke weed, but quit many years ago.  I was a daily user, needed it to fall asleep, but i quit.  Mostly by stopping hanging out with my "friends" that smoked.  Literally everything we did, included getting high.  

Currently, I'm trying to get off some prescription medication.  I let my doctor know my desire to quit, and I am weening myself off of it gradually.  I think my first day without the medication will be the 18-19th.  I'm nervous but I have been updated about what to expect.  Its gonna be a very difficult 3-5 days, followed by 2-3 weeks of minor symptoms as my body gets used to functioning without the medication...

I also use nicotine and caffeine. Probably more than I should... Both of which i plan to stop eventually. 

Hi @Tyler77,

Thanks for your message and support in reply. I actually saw your whole message in email notifications before it was moderated and looked up what your problem is, which is helpful to know. I think you are doing things in a good way in tackling one problem at a time rather than overwhelming yourself with cold turkey on everything at once. The other addictions you mention seem far less serious and able to wait a little while. I think with this 'one thing at a time' method, you may have a much better chance of long term success.

From October last year I was seeing a psychologist specifically for my main addiction problem (I was smoking up to 20 per day). His approach was to slowly wean down, with me in the driver's seat of how fast or slow this went. The idea here is better result with long term abstinence, less likelihood of falling off the wagon over and over. Having said that, the thing that has finally kicked things into abstinence in this final phase was going away to visit family and friends interstate, where it was just not around, and being without it for three weeks straight before returning home.

I have people very close to me who are users, which does complicate things, but I'm not willing to let them go from my life as they mean too much to me. But to my pleasant surprise both of these people are being very considerate with my decision to quit and I'm unwittingly being a good influence on them in return. One of these people is my partner who, without me insisting, has decided to come along with me on the ride of abstinence (he's also now enjoying the experience of being weed-free after decades of use). The other is our close friend who is mostly not smoking around me now and when she does it's to a much lesser extent. I am finding myself easily able to abstain when this occurs at present, long may it last! This has all surprised me because it was a central aspect of our recreation time together too.

It's great that you have already had some recent success in abstaining from this medication that is your main problem. I love that you are saying:

'I know I can do it'. 

I too believe that if you keep on with your resolution to quit and not return, you will succeed. This forum has been very helpful in my journey so far. I've received support and patience throughout the ride. No worries at all how much you need to come and go from the forum while struggling with it. I'll be here for more chat along the way as you wish. 

Sending really good vibes and strength to you in your journey through this to the other side.

More power to you @Tyler77 and @Mazarita

I was born addicted to alcohol and nicotine. Lots of mental health issues and addiction in my family - mostly alcoholism...

I am a regular drinker - can we mention how much on this site? I've been slowly cutting down on my alcohol consumption over the past few months. I'm down to about 8-10 standard drinks per day, and not even noticing any effects from drinking less. It's good for my body, brain and wallet...

I have an on-again off-again relationship with the green. I can hit it pretty hard for a while, then go off it for years...

Having said that, I was heading through Nimbin country last week and... erm... well...

I like the occasional smoke of weed. I like how it affects me. But I try to avoid the all-day every-day zombie thing that it can turn into. Been there. Done that. Not a huge fan. I've lost years of my life that way...

All the best in your ongoing life journeys, good people. If you excuse the pun, it's a great "trip"... 🙂

I have tried to stay away from illicit drugs. I haven't even done weed as I watched it trigger psychotic episodes in a family member time and time again. Having said that like @Silenus alcoholism is a major problem in my family, which I have struggled with personally. I have been sober for 4 months now, so hopefully it will be a permanent thing for me. I went cold turkey and wouldn't advise it. It was a horrible withdrawal. Other than that I've always had an on again off again (currently off) relationship with caffeine and nicotine.

@Nikolai, big congrats on being free of alcohol for months now. You have been wise too to stay away from illicit drugs. Best to you on the alcohol abstinence being permanent, which would seem the best plan, since you struggled so hard through withdrawals to get to where you are now. Would be especially interested to hear how you have become free of nicotine, as I'm still struggling with that one.

@Silenus, both my parents were addicted to various things too: gambling, alcohol, smoking, to name the ones that have had the most damaging effect on them and me. Strongly addictive tendencies I have inherited from both sides of the line. These have manifested in many different ways over the years. Props on reducing your alchohol intake and all power straight back to you in your continued progress with that.

This is my first time using an online forum, so bare with me. 

I would never has considered myself an addict, but I now realise my life is controlled by substances. 

I regularly consume anti despressants, opiats, weed, sleeping tablets, cigerettes, coffee and alcohol - often all in the one day if I'm not feeling great. It is becoming harder and harder to be able to get through work without taking pain medication to 'level me out', and I can't sleep without prescription meds. 

I started off taking pain killers to take the edge off diagnosed anxiety - and now I can't remember the last day I was completely sober. I'm not talking large amounts... but I think I need to make some major changes in my life. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. 

It would be great to hear your thoughts on how to deal with those initial stages. 

Hi @llamaRen
Welcome to the Sane forum... 🙂
Nice to meet you.
It may sound clichéd, but you're already at the most important step - realising there's a problem and knowing things need to change.
That's huge. Not enough people realise how big a step that is, so well done...

I've got probs with grog and green at times. I'm at my best when I'm straight up sober, without all that stuff sloshing around. I just remind myself how good it feels to be sober and thinking straight (which isn't always easy with my mood disorder). I like sober Si. He's a lot more level...
I wish I could offer more... I'm sure other peeps will come along to provide their thoughts.

@Silenus congrats on reducing your consumption.  I know it's not easy.  But it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  

@Nikolai Great job on your 4 months.  Now, i think the most imprtant part is that you replace the activites you used to engage in that revolved around drinking with new healthier ones.  Start hanging out with people who share in your sobriety.  I don't know how you can take or leave caffeine and nicotine...I crave those two so much, usually to help me cope with withdrawing from other stims...but that's awesome.  

@llamaRen  Wlecome to Sane forums!

Yea, I know what you mean.  My life would revolve around stim use.  I couldnt seem to function without it.  Opiates like benzo's can be tricky, as the withdrawl from them can complicate your health.  But if your not taking too many, then you might be able to reduce them without doctor supervision.. If your working currently, you may want to put off quitting till you have a vacation or holiday weekend or something.  But in the meantime you can try to reduce the frequency and quanitity of substances you use.  Recognizing you have a problem though is the most important first step.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance