Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tiki
Contributor

Med experience

Hello, I'm just wanting to know what people's experience with meds has been. Does the washed out feeling get any better ?
3 REPLIES 3
pip
Senior Contributor

Re: Med experience

Hi Tiki. You will go through all sorts of emotions while adjusting to meds. However, if after a couple of weeks, you are still experiencing problems, I would go back to your Dr for a check-up. You may need further adjustment. Unfortunately, when we are prescribed medication of any sort, the adjustment period differs with each person. We become 'guinea pigs' to a degree. Keep track of how you feel any wooziness, nausea, problems sleeping etc. You will need to be aware of blood pressure as well.

My experience with meds is over time I developed a tolerance, but I was also on very high doses and with my doctor's help reduced my dose. Everyone will have a different response to meds and one of the hardest things was finding an anti-depressant without adverse effects or side-effects. In my experience it is harder to come off meds and must be done very slowly with a doctor's support. Going cold turkey can be very dangerous. I have not yet found any mmedication that actually cured depression and in my opinion meds can be useful in the short term but for the long term I think support therapy and behavioural changes are more likely to improve one's condition. 

was zonked out on meds until sept 2000 went cold turkey but started new meds seems to help
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance