Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Deluge
Casual Contributor

I'm not sure where to begin..

Hi, I'm new to forums and even just talking to people about my mental health in general.

I'm 21 and currently have no support network, I don't gain emotional connections very easily so my family is quite distant to me and the few friends I had I lost when I was in hospital and was no longer "functioning". I was linked in with an early psychosis team, then the public mental health system for a few years but since moving house and constantly having to speak to strangers the stress has done terrible things to my already overstimulated mind.

I enjoy painting and drawing, I feel that it is a good way to create a disconnected peice of myself and maybe even share it with others, show a part of myself I don't have the words for.

Lately I feel as though I am losing grip on reality and it frightens me a lot.

I guess I'm hoping to find a community of people who don't necessarily have to understand me, but just make me feel as though I am a part of something.

-Deluge

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I'm not sure where to begin..

Hi Ya @Deluge

I'm sure you'll find art is a common thread here, take a look around Smiley Happy

Do you have any pieces you'd like to share?

Check out like minded souls here

http://www.saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-our-wellbeing/art/m-p/21978/highlight/true#M1037

Hi @Deluge I'm fairly new here too. I only joined a few months ago. 

I guess I began by reading other peoples experiences, replying with some of my own thoughts ... and then suddenly others started replying to me with such warmth and welcoming that I very much appreciated and made me feel connected. I guess I joined because I felt so isolated in my experiences and I desperately wanted to know about others lived experiences that I could identify with.

I too get a lot of joy and healing from painting and drawing, in fact my favourite ways of coping with a bad day is to sit or lay on the floor like a kid ...  with a giant piece of paper and a box of oil pastels, with some music in my ears.

I think one of the hardest things for so many of us is figuring out how to begin the conversation. I know its something I personallt find difficult.

So welcome to the community! I hope you feel like you get a warm welcome and a sense of connection and shared expereinces from others on here.

Welcome to the forums @Deluge

Feeling like you’re losing grip on reality sounds pretty scary. Are you still getting any support from the public mental health system or a private psychologist or psychiatrist? There are people trained to support you through that experience.

I recently came across an online course from the QLD government for early psychosis. I haven’t heard from anyone who has tried it but it might be worth checking out. It’s call ontrack and you can find it here.

Drawing and painting can be a great way to express things that are hard to get out in other ways. There are quite a few people on the forums who like to express themselves through drawing and painting. A few that come to mind are @Pulch, @Jamc and @Former-Member. You might also like to have a read of this discussion about art therapy.

It can be lonely when things change and you find yourself seeking new friends, especially if you’re someone who takes some time to make strong connections. I’m glad you’ve reached out here on the forums. @WhyAmISad is also new to the forums. I think the two of you might have a bit in common. You can read @WhyAmISad's post here.

Welcome once again @Deluge. I look forward to hearing more from you Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance