Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

AmiRemixed
Contributor

Hi Everyone

Hi There, I've been reading a few posts and topics in these forums for a lil while now and I've finally mustered up the courage to register an account so I may join in all the mayhem hehe

I have schizoaffective disorder which means for me in particular - I have both schizophrenia and Bipolar. I was finnally diagnosed in my early 20s after years of my family ignoring my symptoms because they just didn't want to accept that I had a mental condition. Oh well happy to say over a decade later I'm much more settled within myself, my disability and of course my strenghts as well!

Anyway where am I in life, I guess I've really embraced my mental disability, I may have weaknesses but I'm very aware of my strength's too so I'm in a good head space I guess.

I'm interested in participating on these forums to engage and learn and contribute as well. I'm a pretty easy going person and can be approached regarding any concerns or interests 🙂 so thank you for the opportunity to join in and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys. Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hi Everyone

Hi @AmiRemixed, welcome! 🙂

Thanks for your introduction. Glad you have now joined in on the chat. You sound so well adjusted to your condition. I'm sure I and many others will be able to learn from your lived experience and hopefully contribute to your wellbeing too. It does occasionally get a bit like 'mayhem' in here sometimes but most of the time I think we are helping each other get through our difficulties with companionship, understanding and interesting perspectives. Look forward to seeing your around!

Hi @AmiRemixed

Thank you for having the courage to log on and share your story! its lovely to meet you 🙂

when you feel ready please reply to any of the threads that ring true or you are interested in even if you just want to say "me too" "I hear you" or "good luck". Also if you havent already please check out/participate in the events that happen weekly ie Ask anything Monday, Topic Tuesdays, Welcome wednesday, Friday Feast and Sunday Funday. 

Welcome to the community 🙂

Fancy_Pants

Welcome @AmiRemixed - so good to see acceptance and centredness about your life. 🙂 I could do with a dose of that. Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you more here on the forums. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi Amiremixed...

Welcome!

I have schizophrenia & major depression (as well as PTSD & generalised anxiety). Unlike you I find it hard to accept... How do you do that?!

Anyhow, I hope you find sane forums supportive & helpful.

Take care,

A

Hi @Former-Member in the early years of being diagnosed I found it very hard to accept my mental condition. In fact I was in heavy adamant denial of having a mental condition. I thought the doctors were wrong and I searched high and low for other alternative explanations of what might be happening to me. I'm afraid after all my searches high and low I found nothing zip nadda and yes It all fell back onto the label I had been slapped on. So if I was gonna be labeled schitzo effective.... man was I gonna know this disorder inside out. I'm a smart cookie and my insight is pretty powerful, and let me tell you once I fully accepted (although it took almost 4 years for me to do so) that's when things started happening. I started to recognise triggers, psychotic thought patterns. I started challenging them. My insight grew. I started to learn the insides working and dynamics of my thoughts and grow the ability to identify chemical imbalances. 

Embracing my illness was the best first step I took. Once you do then you will find amazing peace in knowing and processing your own thoughts and mantaining a peaceful mind.

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming and warm. 🙂 what an amazing community!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance