Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Silenus
Senior Contributor

Goodbye Mum... I Love You Forever...

Normally, I waffle on like an ijit...

This time, fewer words...

Interrupted words, because Si had to rush for the roll of kitchen paper to stem the flow from nose and eyes that a "good cry, Si style" is all about...

Bipolar-amplified hurtin' words...

Just letting it flow, all natural and slow instead of forever repressed until you're ready to blow, words...

Shut up Si, and just say it words...

Goodbye Mum... I love you forever...

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Goodbye Mum... I Love You Forever...

Hey @Silenus, just sitting with you while you have a good ole cry. Understanding the experience of ambivalence and regret in relation to parents throughout my life. My Dad passed on in 2003. I love him forever too. No more words from me either. Heart

You see, I got a lot of bipolar epic emotional stuff going on. I am not alone. Alas there is an online community of us peeps with issues and challenges beyond the norm.

Sometimes it feels like you are fighting a war. Worse. Multiple wars. There's the one with yourself, all internalised. Your doubts and fears and stresses and angers and triggers. Tearing at you, sapping your strength, distracting you from your search for a more fulfilling life. One where you can function...

Then there's other wars. The real close circle of family wars. Mother issues. Father issues. Separation anxiety. The daddy didn't love me wars. Neglected or overlooked children wars...

Then there's wars we have with society. I have a beef with you, society! You aren't as good as what's written on the packaging! This is false advertising, all this talk of peace, freedom and compassion... where is the action to support the words?

Then there's religious wars. With all due respect to all, imaginary friends with benefits wars. Media-fueled, political spin wars (we used to call it propaganda back in my day, but hey, I call a spade a spade when I see it being used like a spade)... everyone talking of violence and hate as if this is the norm wars... facepalm...

Then there's financial wars. Staying just above the surface wars. Living day to day, week to week at best wars. Juggling a million balls in the air wars. Working too hard. Stressed. Starting to get irritable and cranky, and outright angry, seeing blame and fault where it maybe isn't, responding in ways that, in hindsight, could have perhaps been handled better wars...

...and back to the wars within yourself, as the person, trying to hold it all together, to "hold your shit", if you pardon the vulgarity (I blame the French... hahaha...). Those wars within yourself... they're tearing you apart...

You've got to get a handle on things, Si. That's what I thought. All of this internal struggling was killing me. In the very early days on BlueBoard, I was speaking as someone who had been diagnosed with Depression. But in reading it back after a few years, the bipolar was beaming from the screen, as it were. My words were mirroring what I was feeling and thinking, and they reveal a lot. All of our words do, even the ones we mistakenly say and wish we could take back...

And then there's those most powerful words of all... the ones you never use... the ones you never say... they can be powerful good, or powerful bad words...

Self talk words... the "voice" within our heads (as distinct from hearing voices - nice topic recently peeps. I look forward to reading it.)...

What are our thoughts saying to us? Are you aware of your own voice of your thoughts within your head? Go on. Stop reading this rubbish that I'm typing for a moment. Go into as close an approximation of Mindfulness state as your current understanding or motivation in that area will allow...

Listen to your thoughts...

What are you saying, in there? [Si taps his forehead] [Tonk! Tonk! Tonk! Sounds like hollow wood...]

Stop for a moment what you are doing, and really listen to your inner world of thoughts...

The words you use... they are the most powerful of all. Because, in many ways, you can learn to control them or make them a lot quieter and easy to ignore. I still have a nagging voice in my head that keeps me on the right track. It stops me being an alcoholic for a start, and that's something grand...

See what I did there?

I identified myself as having two separate aspects of my "Me". There was what I generally see as "myself", and then there was another part of me that says in a disapproving tone - "Si... dude... come on, man... ease up on the booze [or insert random obsession or rant topic or inappropriate lifestyle choice]...

Instead of it being a battle within me, you know... all that war crap I rambled on about for aaaages...

I saw two parts of myself come together in unity to restore balance. It was not a war within, because I have learned to tone down the harsh nature of my internal critical voice to a large extent. Those harsh words I used to say to myself. The brutal self loathing. The doubt. The fear. All that, and more...

It can still be brutal, and believe me... I'm a writer. Writing is my life. I have a way with words. I wonder sometimes if my occasional subtle subtexts get noticed, but it doesn't matter... they're there for me to enjoy...

But getting back to the matter at hand, "that" inner voice...

The words we choose. I could be brutal, tearing myself a new one, with all of the words at my disposal, finely crafted to do the most hurt or expose the greatest weakness, those inner prideful thoughts fall away and are ripped apart by words like that. The hurt is intense. And deep.

I had to go through that inner war with myself, and I am grateful as all crap that I came out the other side, alive and able to resume my chosen life path of self evolution. I call it the Self Evolution Revolution. I tried to start a hashtag thing, but nobody really cared in the end. I thought it was snappy... hahaha...

I am grateful that I survived my intense 5 years of reshaping my inner and outer reality. I have learned that the power we have over the Multiverse around us is actually surprising...

We are incredibly powerful entities. We have consciousness. We have the cognitive skills to be able to identify ourselves as separate from "others". We have developed such high ideals as Love and Compassion... sometimes we have reshaped, redefined and bent the corners of those ideals to cope with the realities of life in the Really Real, but they remain high ideals all the same...

What can we do with our consciousness, I wonder? There are many choices. We can become self-obsessed to the exclusion of all others. Or we can be a door mat that everyone wipes their feet on without saying thanks. We can be people pleasers. We can be extremely conflict averse. We can be anxious. We can be depressed. We can be flying high as a kite or tripping the light fantastic.

Except in extreme altered states of consciousness, our words do much to control what we do. Unless it's a reflex action to protect yourself, you don't move until you form a course of action in your mind, and that course of action can be defined by the words your currently dominant inner voice is using, no matter how intense the emotion behind it all...

Teach yourself to listen to that inner voice of your thoughts. We are all different. Take the time to listen to your own thoughts. Take a moment to hear your inner voice. It's all about the words, even the tone it is "thought" in...

I know mine. I don't need to be telling you too much about my inner voices. They have served me well. In unity now, we walk this journey through life together as partners, all of our voices not always in agreement. Often there is a quiet discussion, but it's all very respectful for the most part, with the occasional relapse into being harsh. But! We walk together, navigating this meat suit through life as best as possible, trying to climb the self evolutionary ladder. The Self Evolution Revolution indeed!

We got rid of the war words. The brutal ones. The cruel ones. Why be so harsh? A polite word will do, escalating up to a stern word. But all that tearing strips off yourself is no use whatsoever. All the hand wringing and stuff. It's exhausting. It's brutal. The tears I've cried... oh my, Cry Me A River was always a joke song to me. I have cried many worlds full of oceans by count of my tears, each a salty reminder that life can thrive in the shallows and depths of salty water... @BlueBay... I'm thinking of you at this point, sweetie. Huggles...

And back to the words. And the wars. The problem with internal wars is that you're so busy fighting that, whilst at the same time fighting all the wars in the Really Real. If you could get rid of the internal war by learning to control your thinking (which has the added advantage of easing the emotions closer to their "normal" levels (don't ask me to define "normal" - even with all of the words at my disposal, this room full of monkeys tapping on typewriters has no idea whatsoever about how to define "normal")...

When you calm the war within, you have so much more Energy and Focus. You have Resolve. Resilience. You are the duck, and all of the world is rolling off your back just fine. Just wiggle your tush, and swim on with a Quack!

[Si said that whole last paragraph internally in his Niles Crane voice (you know, from Frasier - one of my fave shows, by the by)]

Voices. Words. They help to shape our actions and order our inner turmoil. Try to define the conflict you are feeling inside. Look within. Find out what is hurting you. Use words to investigate it.

But words only go so far. Realise there is much beyond the realm of words that also needs to be healed, repaired and otherwise nurtured...

I have hated my self for the longest time. The thing I liked least as a kid? If a genie popped up and had offered me one wish, do you know what it would have been? I was bullied for many years in primary school and high school, so you might imagine I would wish that to be different. No... it made me who I am. It was the fiery furnace and the quenching waters that forged this inner steel that partly is me... so, no, I would not wish for the bullying to have been different. I accept it, have made peace with it, have forgiven, have even come to the point of realisation that there was never anything to forgive. It was just us humans, bumping into each other in our bumbling walking journey through our lives...

The one thing I would wish? To never have to sit at the hairdressers and have my hair cut. My mum did the worst bowl cut ever, it was truly horrendous. It was bully bait, and the waters were well burleyed with it...

By the bye... have you guys noticed the recurring water theme yet? Tears, oceans, salt water, quenching... giggle...

"What's so bad about having your hair cut at the hairdressers, Si?" I hear you ask. "Your hair would look better, and there would be one less thing to be bullied about," I hear you add...

Yes, but there are the mirrors. And They are every-effing-where. Surrounded by mirrors. Nowhere to turn for a boy who always avoided looking himself in the eye in the mirror... because he hated himself so much that he wanted to smash the silly thing, showing this pathetic excuse for a human being, plucked from his family and friends at the age of 8, neglected by his parents because they were too busy serving the machine and working their butts off getting established here in Oz (try explaining that to an 8 year old... hahaha...)

With words...

See what I did, again?

Words. I have delved deeply into myself and found out some of the reasons my noodle is so squiggly. I used words to come to a mutually benificial emotional understanding and thought voice understanding of what took place, why, and ultimately what positives I can draw from it, for the bad stuff is done and dusted. Now it's time to make something good come of it...

And I personally use words to do it. Like what I've just written. Words...

I've had a great cry today. I have been quite teary over the past few months, leading up to Mothers Day and all that bother. Rather than fight this and feel bad about feeling bad, I am going with it, and writing some things down along the way...

There is much in those few words...

Goodbye Mum... I Love You Forever...

@Mazarita wrote:

Hey @Silenus, just sitting with you while you have a good ole cry. Understanding the experience of ambivalence and regret in relation to parents throughout my life. My Dad passed on in 2003. I love him forever too. No more words from me either. Heart

Oh @Mazarita! When the word flow starts for a writer... hahaha...

There were always gonna be more words from me... giggle... Smiley Very Happy

Our feelings about our parents are very important to us. One of the most crucial, often. Coming to grips with how we feel about our parents past or still with us can have a huge influence on our lives. Hugs @BlueBay at this point...

I am willing to bet that just about all of us on here reading this has a relationship with one or more parent that's "complicated", yeah? Lots of emotional stuff. Perhaps lots of unresolved stuff. Really at the core of our lives stuff...

Trying to work out how we feel about it all, finding those many small ways to be less hurt or triggered. It's difficult for "normal" people - there's that word again hahaha... - but for people with mood disorders, it can be particularly difficult to navigate this sort of stuff. Helloooooooooo rollercoaster, and hanging upside down till I lose my lunch... hahaha...

If you ever wanted to talk about it @Mazarita, I am an ear waiting to listen. A big ear, with a few salty tears, mostly dry now...

Oh @Silenus, I have talked, cried, yelled, laughed, written, gone mad, so much about this issue in real life, over many many years (most of my adult life), and more recently on the forum too. I'm (almost) talked out on it. My relationship with both of my parents has been deeply ambivalent. In the case of my father I've always adored him but he was a very destructive influence in so many ways, including violence. But I will love him forever nonetheless. In the case of my mother, I've been lucky that she has continued living into her 80s now, long enough for some of the ambivalence in me to mend, and for more and more love to take its rightful place. That's about all I can say on this for now. But, yes, I'm sure these things are big issues for so many of us. Thinking of you on this day when you are feeling so deeply about your mum.

We have this incredible power to influence the world around us...

I smiled at complete strangers today as my lovely partner and I walked along on our daily hour-long exercise.

I exchanged a few "Hello"s, and those little smiles, you know...

I felt good about it. I have the power to present something hopefully pleasant and nice to other human beings around me, by trying to be pleasant and nice. A very simple thing. But think of the power it has!

It could totally change a person's day. I like talking with people of advanced years. Heck, dare we call them "old" people, because age is really only a number? It's how we've lived, as well as how long we've lived, that matters in life...

I had a chat with an old lady a few days ago. She looked calm and happy, sitting on a park bench, smiling into the sun. Something that I LOVE to do, too. I made sure I wasn't shading her, and I turned around to the sun as well, and closed my eyes and smiled. I don't know about you peeps, but that's all the gold I will ever need in this life, the glow of that warm autumn sun on my upturned face...

It was lovely and peaceful. I wished her a lovely day, and left her to her own individual enjoyment of this wondrous gift of life...

A few kind words can go a long way to changing another person's day.

That is what society is all about. Not all these rules and laws and governments and businesses and vested interests and... blah, blah, blah...

No.

Society is people being people around people...

It's about realising that we each have the power to put the smile on just one other person's lips today. Even if that smile is a fake one on your own dial, hey, damn it all if it isn't a start... it's something.

I love talking with children. They have a wonderful wisdom, and a clarity that we often lose as we age into adulthood. Alas, we live in a society these days so full of fear and mistrust that a single man in his mid-40s with faded hippy clothes on and a crazy-smilie emoji tattoo on his wrist talking to a bunch of children is not generally the preferred look...

Pity... we can learn much from each other. From all ages, we each have stories to tell. The young are often wise beyond their years. They are naturally Mindful. We can learn much from them. The young adults, so full of fire and excited to soon be free. Our 20s and 30s and 40s... I can't speak much more from experience, but I also learn much from those who have been here for a while in life...

I am humbled by all of these life stories. We are each a whole library of stories, and by sharing them, by re-reading our life stories for ourselves, we see how far we have come. How far we still have to go...

Thank you @Mazarita. I wish you all the best in your ongoing journey of reconciliation within your life. There is so much turmoil from this "parent thang"... hahaha...

Gonna go and tootle for a while...

About a year ago, I bought a North American Spirit Flute from a guy up in the Atherton Tablelands. I had been wanting a Shakuhachi forever, but the flute maker talked me out of it, and rightly so. I have never played a musical instrument before - I bought an electric guitar and never played it - still have the guitar in storage - what an ijit... hahaha...

A Shakuhaci is a very difficult flute to get a sound out of, much less the amazing harmonics and emotional range in the tonal qualities of this beautiful instrument. It takes years to develop your chops...

Not for me...

He had made this one from a round piece of staircase guardrail timber salvaged from an old old house. he carved the flute. Can't remember what type of wood it is, but this one "spoke" to me on a spiritual level, and hey, it's a Spirit Flute... hahaha...

Good balance. Warm tones.

I have taught myself two tunes (well, more just a couple of progressions). The first one I composed is a very emotional piece. I talk to the spirit of my mother through this piece of music. Sometimes it changes, sometimes I add bits or repeat certain bits...

It is exactly what I intended for my flute - as a way to meditate and process my emotions through a different language than just words. Some things cannot be captured with words, and they should not! We should not even attempt it. Save ourselves the bother. The things that are beyond the scope of words, that is where mysticism and spirituality come from. True religion, too...

The other piece that I have composed is a jumpy light, jazz-tinged progression with faster finger movement... a nice little trill to finish each phrase...

I know nothing about music. Can't read it. But I love music, and I reckon I can hold a tune when I sing. Music is a wonderful language, to be explored and wondered at. It is art, after all... and art mirrors life...

Hugs to anyone who has the monumental patience to get through all this twaddle that I write... hahaha... there's that self-deprecation again... gotcha, Si! Hahaha...

Oh, and Si being Si... hahaha...

I taught myself to play my Spirit Flute using either nostril, instead of just being boring and using my mouth. I think I actually get better vibrato that way... must be the mucous... giggle...

oh dear @Silenus i have been crying reading this post of yours.

It has brought up lots of different emotoins for me (not your fault) just me thinking about my parents and especially my mum.

Im sorry i can't type anymore, just wanted to say that you are an amazing person, you write beautifully with such emotion.

thank you for sharing.  sending you hugs xx

Dear @Silenus, thinking of you and here to listen and to give you a virtual hug x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance