Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

april
Contributor

Glad to have found you

Hi 

I am new to the forum and so glad to have found you.I have read some helpful tips about job interviews and giving up smoking etc..

I have Bipolar 1 and General Anxiety Disorder, the onset was sudden and drastically life changing for me. I lost all my friends and had to stop working. That was 20 years ago. I have since made new friends and have aspirations to re enter the workforce some day.

I have a few hobbies, Knitting, Crochet, Embroidery, Quilting, Puzzles and Gardening. These interests get me through the day. I also like to listen to music...Stevie Nicks, mainly. 

I take care of my family and our three cats. I adopted one of the cats from death row at the pound and he turned out to be a terrific therapy cat for me.

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Glad to have found you

Hi @april

This is a great little place, I only joined recently and I am happy I found it too. There are a lot of great people out here who are happy to share their experience, have a chat, or help you through a rough patch.

I've only just been diagnosed bipolar and it is a very new world for me.

You have some great hobbies, I love crafts but rarely have the time or patience to sit down and do some crafts. I have pets too, but our pets would not get on - I have a lot of different birds and parrots. I love watching them or playing with them - yes birds have quite some character and are very playful. We have some we hand reared as they were kicked out of the nest.

Hi @Former-Member

I like birds too and so do my cats. They are indoor cats, they do bird watching all day. I know they would love to catch them and eat them...but they can't. We have cuckaburras, rainbow lorikeets, parrots, gallahs and many miner birds and doves in my area. Birds are so lovely to watch, they can bring some peace to a difficult day.

I never indulged in crafts until I became unwell. Although I am not talented artistically, I enjoy it . Craft is a great distraction and kept me grounded through the highs and lows, I'm  pretty stable now but anxiety is a big problem for me now.

I had never heard of bipolar disorder until I was diagnosed. In the beginning, the word 'bipolar' made me think of polar bears, silly, but I was fairly sick at the time.

I hope your journey is as smooth as can be and thank you for your reply.

Hi @april 

and hello to @Former-Member, too.

I am new here too and I find it to be a very supportive place. I suffer from anxiety, which is actually not too bad at the moment. Smiley Wink I have also had severe depression, in the past.

I like crochet and gardening too! I also enjoy reading, cooking, painting and drawing. Right now I am not working, due to being sacked from my job (again).  I find it difficult to hold down a job, perhaps due to anxiety but also other things.... I don't exactly know.... but I do find it hard to deal with authority figures and I always have.

I am lucky that my husband has organized a new job for me and I start in about 3 or 4 weeks. Until then I am very happy to relax at home. Smiley Happy 

We live in the country and there is not a lot of support here for people with mental illness. I'm not seeing a doctor, taking any medication or having any counselling at the moment. But I thought it would be nice to connect with others online.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@april and @Sahara

I smile about the polar bears 🙂 now I finally understand my diagnosis! One day I am the little polar bear - more like a care bear type with a rainbow on its belly dancing on clouds and singing to the sun and then I am the big hungry angry polar bear that is freezing cold and growls at the snow.

Thank you for finally giving me a picture for my diagnosis 🙂

Hello @Sahara

I enjoy reading aswell. What kind of books to you read? I like books about friendships, books written by Maeve Binchy. I don't enjoy cooking, I think of it as a chore. I have about 6 dishes I that make over, and over. Very boring but edible.

I do take medications but I don't take anything for the anxiety, as they trigger of high moods swings for me. I am seeing a psycoligist for the anxiety and low grade depression. It works for me for a while and then I get anxious and depressed again. I think it's not working because I forget the strategies I've been taught.

Enjoy the rest of time off and all the best with your new job.

Hi @april - Lovely to see you here, I havve Bipolar II (anxiety, complex PSTD and OCD) and I am also a reader, I LOVE reading. I was working in a fairly high powered and stressful job and the world came to a screaming halt five years ago when I had a back injury. That on top of my mental health issues just broke me.

Since then I am findind gentle ways and interesting things to do - I like doing graphic art and website design. I read ALOT! and recently I started watching old TV series that I had not seen. My book preference at the moment is fantasy fiction - and I am two books away from having read back to back everything written by Julliette Marrillier, wonderful stories! 

I also do a bit of gentle gardening in containers herbs and flowers and succulents. I love my Greyhound Doggit and also do fostering of greyhounds getting them ready for forever homes. I am a DogMother, a wife and a duaghter to my ageing Mum. it is a much littiler life than I used to have but (when I am well) I am enjoying it.

Welcome to the forums there are lovely, supportive and awesome people here. 

Hello @MoonGal

Pleased to meet you. Good on you for fostering Greyhounds, I've heard they make great pets. I was told they are really laid back and great companions, difficult to imagine since they are such fast runners.

Thank you for sharing some of your story, I too hard a very demanding job. I quit after I became unwell and have had feelings of guilt ever since. Not being able to contribute financially, has been tuff on me.

Feeling a little less guilty, so thanks again.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @april,

Welcome to the forums! 

The commuity of contributors and moderators here work together to provide a place of understanding, support and empathy.

This is achieved through a space of mutual support and self help. 

We learn, through the experience of others, and your contributions are welcome.

We look forward to hearing more from you, and to finding out more about your journey. 

Warm regards,

JumpinJojo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance