Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Silenus
Senior Contributor

Constant Measuring Can Lead To Misery

Often in this world, we are consumed by a need to measure our lives against others, or to measure our own successes and failures against ideals that we hold up to ourselves. I wonder why we do this. Often, it leads to nothing but misery, anxiety and depression...

How do I measure success? That's a very important question to ask myself. If I am measuring it by what I am "supposed" to have achieved by a certain age (as deemed by my friends, family or society at large), then I have probably failed miserably in a lot of ways.

I am childless in a world that seems to value having children above most things, because it gives parents a sense of worth and value and reason to live, etc.

But that wasn't for me. As a result of me not being able to convince myself to bring more humans into this overcrowded world, I deeply hurt the wife that I had, and she left me. She now has a baby with someone that isn't me.

So there we have it - I am a failure at the one thing Charles Darwin says we are hard-wired to do - propagate...

I am essentially unemployed, and have been either chronically underemployed or totally unemployed for about 3 years. I will never be able to hold down a full time high stress job again (unless of course I want to ride the bipolar rollercoaster at its wildest again and again and again, and that's a sure way to shorten my life expectancy).

So, once again, if I measure my life by other people's standards, I am anything but a success.

Because I have some rather "out there" views about materialism and the stupid things that the vast number of human beings do to try and inject some value to their empty lives (thus raping and pillaging the planet in the process), I have very few real friends left. Most of them are too busy chasing illusions to be of any value to me in my life, or for me to be of any value in their lives. And so I am mostly isolated.

Once again, by other people's measurement, I am a runaway failure...

To date, I have written 2 books. I identify myself as a writer more than I identify myself as anything else. So far, I have sold exactly 3 copies of each book, bought by the one or two friends and family who cared enough to fork out the modest amount of dough to support me in my life goal or acknowledge that writing is my dearest-held passion.

Bit of a fizzer, that one, if I measure myself by other people's ideals of success and failure. I ain't exactly a J. K. Rowling in the making...

So, where am I at now? I'm currently burning through my life savings on the way to the poor house, because having a bit of money in the bank (as opposed to having it tied up in bricks and mortar) means that I obviously don't need help from a heartless cruel system that doesn't care. Ah well, at least I am "contributing to society" by paying my taxes.

Once more, not a lot to be proud of or happy about if I apply other people's conception of success and failure.

How's my health? Physically, I have multiple issues because my genes suck. None of those issues qualify me for disability or anything like that, despite the debilitation and pain. Mentally, I have multiple issues. Bipolar is a bitch. In fact, most people probably assume I'm a hypochondriac or a bludger, and that makes them feel so much better about things.

That's another tick in the "failure" column, BTW, if I choose to see it as such.

I am primarily an introvert. I hate crowds. I generally hate people. I would rather be left alone most of the time, and I especially hate it when people assume that the best thing for me is to drag me into a social situation that I'd rather not be in.

To them, I even fail at being a "normal" social human being.

I was too late to say what I should have said for years and years, as I held my dying mother's senseless hand in hospital. As far as that goes, failure doesn't get much more spectacular than that...

All of that stuff should get me down. And it did. For many years in fact. And that just compounded it and made it worse, and I spiralled down and down. Feeling bad about feeling bad - the ultimate downer. Why bother? That became a very constant and real question...

But do you know what? I am happier than I have ever been in my life. That's because I no longer give a flying f*** about what other people see as success and failure. I invite them to inspect my raised middle digit...

When I stopped applying those mistaken ideas of success and failure, and instead just grabbed life by the short and curlies and started living it for all it was worth, that was when I finally woke up and started life properly. Before that, I had just been shuffling along, letting the disappointments pile up. Even worse, I had been living a second-hand life, defining what I should and shouldn't do based on what I thought other people or society would expect of me. That is no way to live. That's just waiting to die.

As I look upon my fast-approaching middle age, I don't see that things are too late. In fact, things are just beginning. And they're the important things. The ones that *I* want to do for *me*. Those are the things that really matter.

I've got nobody else to blame for what I personally deem my successes and failures. They are my own, and I own them. I harbour no bitterness towards anybody any more (I used to, but have let go of it).

If someone hurts me, I learn from it. As a result of this, it doesn't end up hurting me, but actually ends up helping me. Such a simple little shift in my thinking, and it has saved my life, even transformed it to a life of wonder and delight.

I am grateful to all of the people that I have interacted with in my life. Good or bad, success or failure, it doesn't matter. It's all part of life, and life doesn't play favourites. The only thing we can really do is to roll with it, and try to make the most of what we have got. It may not sound like much, especially when things are at their worst. But any kind of life sure beats the alternative, as far as I am concerned.

I hope that all people who struggle in this world find their way to a transformed way of viewing the world. The world is not against you. In fact, "the world" doesn't really even notice that you exist. That sounds like a hugely negative thing to say, but it is actually hugely liberating when you look at it the right way. Even the most important person in the world is totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I for one do not matter one jot in this world. But I matter to me. That's about all that I can control. I can't "make" people love me or like me. I can't force them to do anything, in fact. All I can do is to be me. The rest, I leave up to the world to sort out.

What matters is not this eternal process of measuring our lives against the lives of others or the ideals that we have for our own life. We waste so much time and life measuring, measuring, measuring, and all it leads to is bitterness and disappointment. All of this constant trying to become something or someone else is a terrible waste of life energy. Better just to live, and extract what incidental joys you can from it.

There is much of worth and depth to be found in the world around us. Even staring at dew on a spider's web in the morning sunlight opens up a universe of colour and possibility. Seeing this very thing this morning was a huge success for me. I observed living jewels, sparkling with rainbow colours in the life-giving light.

I truly hope the best for everyone, myself included. Everyone deserves to see light in their lives. The trick is to appreciate the light without endlessly measuring it.

Hugs and happy vibes beaming to you all. 🙂

40 REPLIES 40

Re: Constant Measuring Can Lead To Misery

Hey, @Silenus,

great post! Yes, we live in a very competitive culture and it feels like it's getting worse, if anything. Everything in our world is geared towards making money and accumulating stuff we don't even need. Scientific studies continue to show that after a certain point, more money does not make people happy but no-one believes this! Most people are still stuck in a rut, prisoners to their frantic lifestyles. 

I read somewhere that the only way that money can make people happy is that if they use it to pay someone else to do the jobs they don't like doing. For instance, if you hate mowing the lawn, and you have enough money to pay someone else to do it, then your money is being very well spent.

I guess the alternative is to grow very, very long lawn and have a wilderness in your yard; but I digress. Smiley Wink

Of course it's not just money; you are expected to marry and breed. Yes, that is a huge pressure on people and again, I believe it is getting worse. Not only are you expected to have children, but if you don't send them to private schools and dress them in expensive clothes, then your children are doomed to feel inadequate and be social out-casts! I see it happening with my teenage niece and nephew - they have to have the latest smart phone, just because everyone else does. This kind of mentality existed when I was a teenager too, but I believe it's become extreme now.

What's the alternative? Well, I don't know, but I guess you could go live in Nimbin in a Tee-Pee. Smiley Tongue

I suppose people tend to seek out others who also embrace so-called "alternative" lifestyles and who do think differently to the mainstream. These people are not always obvious. Some of them blend in quite well. (lol, like aliens walking amongst us.)

I think that a lot of people are dissatisfied with rampant consumerism and pressures to conform, but they keep their heads low. They just don't know what to do about their dissatisfaction.

There is a Sufi ideal that I wholeheartedly embrace... be in the world, but not of it...

This simple principle has saved my life. It protects me from all of the senseless and terrible things in this world. I am in this world (that is a given, and unavoidable). But I do not give my life energy to the vast majority of human-constructed ideas and things in this world.

I rise above these mundane things. They have lost the power to hurt me, because I realise one essential and simple truth - the power to hurt me is a power that I give. I control this power. By withholding this power from the world, the world can no longer hurt me...

@Silenus wrote:

The world is not against you. In fact, "the world" doesn't really even notice that you exist. That sounds like a hugely negative thing to say, but it is actually hugely liberating when you look at it the right way. Even the most important person in the world is totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I for one do not matter one jot in this world. But I matter to me.

Hi @Silenus,

It's interesting you wrote that, as I often think the same thing myself. I few times recently I have made myself very unhappy thinking that people don't seem to care about me, don't bother to call me, aren't interested in what I'm doing, etc, etc.  As though they should be. Why should they be?

It really only matters that I'm interested in my own life and that I'm enjoying it and finding it fulfilling. The world is under no obligation to notice me, and that is probably a really good thing!  We tend to exaggerate the importance we have in other people's lives and the amount we are actually valued by our work-place and our community. We over-think things. 

I guess what I am getting at is I think it is a mistake to do things in life because you believe they will bring you recognition. You must do them because they will bring you satisfaction on a personal level.

@Silenus wrote:
There is a Sufi ideal that I wholeheartedly embrace... be in the world, but not of it...

@Silenus,

I am quite interested in Sufism too. I like the idea of "being in the world, but not of it..."  Because we all are born into this world and we have no choice in the matter! Here we are. The paradox is that no-one really tells us how to live our lives.... but we are all in the same boat, as far as that is concerned. No-one really knows anything but we all have to pretend we do! A big cosmic joke! 

So we can really choose how much we take on board, as far as our culture is concerned. The more present you are, the more you realise that you can reject most of our current culture and still be perfectly fine.

By the way, there is a beautiful Sufi prayer that was made into a song and featured in a Bollywood movie call "Rockstar". The song is called "Kun Faya Kun" and is all about divine love. You can find it on Youtube. I wonder if this song speaks to you too? Depends a bit on your tastes, I guess.

@Silenus wrote:

Dunno why, but this got posted twice.... I looks like I am repeating myself. Smiley Wink

@Silenus wrote:

If someone hurts me, I learn from it. As a result of this, it doesn't end up hurting me, but actually ends up helping me. Such a simple little shift in my thinking, and it has saved my life, even transformed it to a life of wonder and delight.

Thank you @Silenus.  I enjoy reading your writing I think you've got a lot of offer our community.  I especially liked the part quoted above.  If we all REALLY got this, there would be a lot less pain and a great deal more peace.  We give people so much power over us and then often compound the problem by nursing the grievance.  You've done well to shift this perspective.  I don't know how many people manage that.  So by my standards, you're a huge success! 

I agree @Sahara. I like to think that there's a growing sense of dissatisfaction with our consumer lifestyle and an awareness that it's unsustainable.  But you rarely see this view reflected back (hello mainsream media) so we end up feeling alone and aliented.  Swimming upstream when everyone else is jetsurfing the other way.  Maybe we need one of those tats like project semicolon so we can recognise eachother!

I agree @Sahara

How are you today @Silenus, @Sahara

Great post...

I do a lot of writing myself these days... It helps me to identify what I am feeling and work through issues. If I just think about things, the thoughts tend to race around and around in my head before they eventually float away and stay lost until the next crisis. 

I was abused as a child and that's why I didn't want to have children - the fear that I might continue the cycle of abuse. 

I am not where I had imagined myself to be at this point in my life either... It makes me a little sad but recently I have met some other people in my position, without marriage, kids, career - that makes it a little easier to bare. 

I take people's criticisms of me on board more now but they still hurt... And I don't have friends not because they're caught up in the rat race and I'm not but because they hurt me with their words. I wish I wasn't so fragile. 

Anyways I enjoyed reading your post 🙂 Glad to hear you are doing well and have found joy. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance