Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

GonePirate
Senior Contributor

A pirates life for me...

where to start? at the beginning? nah too boring start at the end i guess jump to the beginning then periodically return to the end maybe??? sure why not

im 25 and heavily medicated for my bipolar type 1 im not a med zombie i just function luckily alot better than i used to and have a clarity and stability i havnt had for years

i was diagnosed at 20 its been 5 long years since those very dark and stormy days

im still at mercy of the tides of fate but im no longer a slave to them

more often than not i find myself rolling with the punches and not only surviving but coming out on top

i am now studying doing a cert 4 in mental health with a hopes of becoming a peer worker

i also have a 6 year old son who i see fortnightly who is my world

5 years ago i was in limbo as i came out of the longest mania ive ever experienced or heard of and it left me bombed out and depleted my ship was completely scuttled and i was a wasted wreck

i swiftly plunged into the deepest and longest depression i have ever faced doubled up with a nice dose of psychosis towards the end

that is when i sought help

started seeing a councillor then a therapist then a psychologist then a psychiatrist too

for about four years i rode the meddigoround and yeh i was still a slave to the tides of fate the eb and flow controlled me as i would rise and fall like that waves

it was around this time 5 years ago i fell in love with writing actually a little earlier but about 4 years ago i started a romance with poetry one night overwhelmed by thoughts that came thick and fast i sat there and wrote them out it turned into a poem my favourite and arguably most powerful poem

it was at this time too i began to engage with my fellow sufferers or consumers or whatever you wish to be called survivors is a good one

this has helped me immeasurably and i have now reached a point 200 plus poems later where my head is quiet for now and i can hopefully give back to my fellow survivors in the way i was helped

through support understanding encouragement and well maybe even entertainment who know

anywho this turned out longer than i expected

toodle oo

and ahoy

6 REPLIES 6

Re: A pirates life for me...

Dude. Props on your progress. As your online brother, I say props on your brogress.

As a fellow BlueBoard member here at a new online community home, I say that I have known you for 4-odd years, and my heart is expanded and delighted to see the progress you have made.

This stuff ain't easy. Anyone who is in our shoes knows this. We do what we have to do to survive, and once we are strong enough we build on top of this, and do what we can to share it with others, in the hope that it helps... 🙂

You @Silenus and @GonePirate write beautifully. We are still here, against all the odds!! Much love and peace to you both. Xx

Ahoy there @GonePirate.  Thanks for sharing our story.  You turn out to be much younger than I expected from reading your posts.  I thought that was middle-aged wisdom Smiley Happy An old head on young shoulders maybe.

I'm really pleased to hear that you're studying to work in the sector.  There's always room for someone who has come through your experiences and found ways to be well.  A 'quiet head' is a beautiful thing.  You'll bring invaluable experience and growth to your future roles.  Do you have any ideas yet about where you hope to work?  What part of the sector?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi GP,

Thanks so much for you sharing your story !

Hats off to you buddy, well done to you with your progress Smiley Happy

You are certaninly heading in the right direction and nothing better then having peace of mind in your life man

Goodluck with your studies, and I know you will do great, and you will be an asset to any organization who employees you.

Cheers OG

Hey @GonePirate, thanks for sharing your story , way to go , that is great

Take care , Ahoy until next time

@JoJo73 @suzanne @Former-Member @Shaz51

thanks for the responses peeps

the encouragement and the compliments

I get told I'm an old soul in a young body a fair bit

middle aged hahaha maybe I am I dunno how long ile live

I want to work in the mental health sector as hopefully a peer support worker

that seems a good place to start
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance